The Watchman of the Underworld

-3rd POV-

"Thunder Spear set to energy-saving mode. Reactivate with user's fingerprints, voice recognition, or a charge of magical energy."

"Oh, thank goodness. I should be able to handle it now on my own." Riddle said, smiling as the spear was now lighter.

"Then allow me to carry it. Hauling giant weapons is a job for the rank and file. After all, the leader should be out in front of protecting me." Azul used his magic to lift the spear, "...Hup!"

He deadpanned, "There's definitely been a misunderstanding. I'm not protecting you. I'm protecting the rules."

"What?"

"You're an octo-merman, and you take a transformation potion to maintain your human form, correct?"

He nodded and pushed his glasses up, "Yes, that's right. But what does that have to do with any rules?"

"Transformation potions are special. They require government authorization and specialist supervision. Only medical mages can issue prescriptions for them. And licensed potion pharmacists are the only ones who can formulate them. I presume you already know all this, of course."

"Those who take them undergo major physiological changed. So treating injuries of such individuals requires more care. It's actually illegal to practice medicine on them without a specialist license. Which means that if you got injured here, I would risk running afoul of the law. And that must be avoided at all costs! Hence, I cannot let any injury befall you. It's that simple."

The gray haired male was silent before letting out a small noise, then it raised to a laugh.

The red haired male deadpanned again, "Why are you laughing? I didn't say anything remotely funny."

"Unbelievable. Is that what you've been worried about this entire time?!" He laughed again, "You really are eccentric!"

He sputtered, "I am not! It's every citizen's duty to follow the law!"

"You could have just said so! I was so convinced you thought I was a weakling." He said, his shoulders shaking.

"What?! I explicitly said I knew you could fight! Why wouldn't you take me at my word?!"

"Given how you were acting, I think it was reasonable to assume you were patronizing me. Your absurd adherence to the rules isn't intuitive to most other people."

"It's not absurd! It's literally the law!"

"Grrr...Someone's having fun...must be nice..." A voice said, startling the two mages.

"Something's coming..." He looked at the other, "Now look what you've done. Your loud guffaws drew the enemy right to us!"

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I'll take extra care to avoid getting hurt..." Azul said, snickering.

-----

"I want...to be friends...too..." The Phantom said, before it melted.

"The Phantoms are considerably stronger down here." Azul said, putting his pen away.

Riddle nodded, "Definitely. We made the right call resting while the spear was charging. Fatigue can affect your concentration, which is just asking for trouble as a mage. Speaking of trouble—I'd like to double-check something. Your transformation potion won't suddenly wear off, will it?"

"Not as long as I take it as prescribed. It used to be that one dose would maintain a transformation for three days max...But with recent advancements in the field, transformations can last anywhere from a week to 10 days. The potions aren't exactly tasty, so I appreciate having to take fewer doses overall."