Chapter 13: Casting

Ricky's POV
Gina and I were sitting on the bench outside of East High.

"My mom got a place in Salt Lake."

She sits up and looks at me.

"Really, Ricky? That's great. I'm so happy for you guys. I love seeing you all together again, even if it's not the same as it used to be." She shook her head.

"Anything new with you?"

"Just auditioned for the first high school performance of Wicked."

I laughed under my breath. Gina's ways of avoiding sensitive or upsetting topics were either humor or intimidation.

"And you were amazing." I said, kissing her.

"So were you." She smiled. "In fact, it was killing me that I couldn't run on stage and kiss you while you sang."

"Hmm." He raised an eyebrow, leaning in.

"Umm...lovebirds? We need Gina."

It was Jason, the not-so-secure security guard who revealed that "Homecoming" was HSM 4 and kicked me out of Gina's trailer.

"Uh, I can't come right now, I'm about to see the cast list." Gina said looking from him to me. She slipped her arm and hand around mine to he holding me tightly.

"I'm sorry, Miss Porter, but this is your career. And this thing for school? It's just a high school musical. Nothing more."

I looked down at our interlocked arms. This was so much more that a high school musical. When we all first met, I was so lost, missing something, or someone. Gina needed to find something she was passionate about, and people. Seb and Carlos needed to fully find their true identities. Ashlyn needed to find her confidence and people she could befriend. EJ needed to learn more about himself by turning off the selfie cam. Nini had a whole lot of self discovery to do. And there are, so many more people that were affected. So no. It isn't just a high school musical.

Gina and I looked at each other. It wasn't about High School Musical. Not Beauty and the Beast, not Frozen, High School Musical 3, and not Wicked. It was about the relationships and people. The love that we all have each other.

"Go. I'll stall inside, okay?" I rubbed my hands up her arms to her shoulders.

She nodded. "Okay," and kissed my cheek. "Bye bye."

She ran off.

"I love you."

•••Gina's POV•••

"Gina. Thank God you're here."

"What is it, Quinn. You promised I had today and the weekend off for the musical amongst...other things."

"I know, but Gina, we have a huge opportunity this weekend."

"What's that?" I said slowly and dreadfully.

"A day of interviews tomorrow for Romeo and Juliet. You, Mack, and sometimes me."

"I promised Ricky that this could be our weekend, Quinn."

"I understand that, but he's your high school crush and this is your career."

There it was again. Why is it that adults can not seem to think that anything while you're a minor is important except for job stuff.

"Besides, Gina, he can come with us."

•••Ricky's POV•••
"Okay, guys! The cast list I will be announcing this time with Nini and Maddox verbally, instead, and posting the paper on the bulletin board later today." Miss Jenn said. "So let's begin, playing- wait where's Gina?"

No one answered. Of course, I'd been hearing recently that I was being a bit clingy, and didn't want to act like I immediately knew all the time.

"Ricky." Nini looked at me knowingly.

I tried to bite my tongue. "Gina was brought to the Romeo and Juliet set to talk to Quinn."

"Oh." Miss Jenn said. "Okay, I'll give 10 more minutes."

"Thank you, ten." Ashlyn and Carlos said.

•••Gina's POV•••

"Am I too late!?" I ran into the auditorium asking. Everyone snickered. "Great, Ricky's rubbing off on me."

"You're just in time, Gina." Miss Jenn said as I took a seat between Ricky and Ashlyn. I gripped his hand.

Maddox started speaking. "Our dancers and ensemble. We've got Rico, Ryan, Kennedy, and Dani."

"Seb..." Nini smiled. "Our lead monkey." She waited for applause. "Steph, Kaden. Elphaba's mom and dad!"

"Dr. Dillamond, Jet. NessaRose, Emmy!" Miss Jenn waves her hands. "I will be making my next on stage appearance as...Madame Morrible."

Everyone cheered in excitement. We loved having Miss Jenn as part of it.

"Our Wizard will be...Carlos!" Maddox  exclaimed.

"Boq will be Big Red." Nini smiled.

This is it, I thought.

"Gi?" I felt a hand covering mine. "Are you okay?" I was freaking out and hyperventilating, I realized.

"Y-yeah."

I was either Glinda, Elphaba, or cut from the show.

"Our leads are..."