Chapter 36: Nobody knows..?

Time skip to Friday night!

Ricky's POV
Tomorrow is Gina's birthday. She unfortunately has to start the morning with an interview, but she luckily only has one.

She thinks no one but Ash really knows or cares that it's her birthday, so Ashlyn offered to have her stay over for a birthday sleepover.

But we're all gonna be there when she gets back to Ashlyn's house.

Today, I'm over at Ash's house with Big Red, Nini, and Maddox putting up some of the decorations when there's a knock on the door. I walk over to it and open it up. It was EJ.

"Hey, Elton." I say. "What's up?"

"I completely understand if you don't want me to be here for Gina's party, but-"

"Save it." I pull him into a quick hug. "I'm glad you're here."

We walk inside and Ash walks over to embrace him.

"Hey, Eej." She says.

"Hi, Ashy."

•••

"So, what are you guys getting Gina?" Nini asked as she carefully filled a bag with tissue paper.

"You don't get to know until she does." I said. "Except Ash has to know, of course, since I have to get permission to do...certain...things in her house."

"Ooh, interesting." Maddox says, plopping beside EJ on the couch.

"Yeah, wish I could spill, but I can't." Ash then sat beside Maddie.

"Yeah. Anyway, I should head out. I'll see you guys tomorrow for the party." I said.

"See you tomorrow, Ricky."

•••Gina's POV•••
Today is March 5th. It's my seventeenth birthday, my last one as a child. No one but Ashlyn actually knows that, as far as I know. But that's okay, because Ash offered for me to have a sleepover tonight for old times sakes.

Today I have an interview, and it's my first since my accident. I'm doing better now, but my body hasn't fully adjusted yet.

•••in the interview•••

"So, Gina, welcome."

"Thanks for having me." I said, shifting in my seat uncomfortably.

"Of course. Gina, you recently got into a bit of an accident at school ending up in the hospital. How do you think that event has impacted your life for the better or worse now?" 

Great, we're getting right into it. I thought.

"Yeah, I mean it was scary, but it's definitely taught me to enjoy the moment, find the good parts of everyday, and wake up everyday glad that I did. It's helped me appreciate the fact that I can go to sleep at night and be able to go on to another day, and also has helped me to put into perspective how much others care about me and how much the health and safety of my body matters."

•••after the interview•••

I had a cup of cocoa from the cafe in my hand, and was making my way outside to Ash's mom's car. Ashlyn was driving it because she doesn't have her own. I'm just now finally learning how to drive from Ricky and my mom because I couldn't when she wasn't here.

"Hey. Happy bday, Gi." She says as I step in.

"Aww, thanks, Ash."

"Of course. Ready?"

"I sure am."