Chapter 18: Roots

•••Ricky's POV•••

"I'm sorry, Ricky, that I had to put you through that."

"Gina, it wasn't your fault. Just promise me you'll rest?"

"Okay, Ricky. Are you- are you going to your mom's place today?"

"Yeah. For the first time."

"Can I walk you? You didn't drive to school today."

"Sure, but I really want you to be safe going home, so maybe I should walk you home instead."

"I'll be okay, Ricky. I'm staying at Ash's tonight, actually, so maybe she should just come along."

"I heard my name." Ashlyn ran ahead and we all started walking.

"Wait, is something wrong with your mom again?" I whispered to her.

"I just think that she's causing a lot of this pressure that caused me to literally pass out. So I think staying with Ash for tonight would be best."

"Okay. If you need help talking to your mom ever, I'd be happy to help. Why not make her hate me a little more?"

"Ricky, she doesn't hate you. She just doesn't want me to have any 'distractions'. That's all that my...dad was for her."

Gina had never told me one thing about her dad. I had no idea if he was dead or alive or if they were even in contact. In fact, the only time I heard her say the phrase 'my dad' was in HSM 3 during the Can I Have This Dance sequence.

"I see." I replied.

"So this is it?" Ashlyn asked as we reached my mom's new apartment.

"Yep." I popped the p. "Take care of Gina, okay? Make sure she's safe."

"I will, Ricky. You don't need to worry about that." She placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Goodbye, Ricky." Gina kissed my cheek.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

•••Kourtney's POV•••

I sit in my bedroom with Carlos and Nini.

"Okay, welcome back to the Finer Things Club. Ashlyn is running a bit late, because she is bringing Gina, who is staying with her tonight." Carlos explains.

"Now we've decided to discuss today a very serious topic called the Finer Things Future. I have officially chosen my college, and I want to hear what's going on with all of you." I said.

"Sorry we're late!" Ashlyn stepped in with Gina walking slowly behind her.

"Gina, are you feeling alright?" Nini asked.

"Guys, how many times must I say I'm fine! S-sorry, I'm just out of it right now, sorry I snapped at you."

"It's okay." Carlos said. "Maybe we should do this another time?"

"No, no. I want to hear your plans, guys."

"Okay...well the school I'm going to is...Lewis College!" I said.

"Oh, Kourt! I'm so happy for you!" Ashlyn squealed.

"An Ivy League is an Ivy League. But Jet helped me realize that I felt happiest there and that I could do so much more there. I mean there's this amazing music group I'm going to join."

"That's great, Kourtney." Gina said.

•••Ashlyn's POV•••

"Gina, have you eaten?" I leaned across Kourtney's bed looking at an exhausted looking Gina.

"Not recently." I said.

"Come on," I nudged her. "You need food, and you need sleep. Your health is more important."

"Okay...wait are you sure?" She turned to face me.

"Yes, Gina. We have to get you feeling better. Guys, I think we're going to head out for the night."

•••outside•••

Gina and I were walking down the street back towards my place. It was getting dark outside, and suddenly I looked to my side, and Gina wasn't there.

"Gina?" I looked down. "Gina! Woah, are you okay." She had tripped over a root of a tree.

"No, no."

We were in trouble.