Chapter 96: Life's Not Fair

Five more chapters starting

Five more chapters starting...now!

Ricky's POV
We did it. I did it.

I wrapped my final musical, my final performance with my wildcats.

Now I'm off stage, looking across at Gina who was ready to bow. We bow, and then Big Red will.

"Go?" I mouthed to her. She nodded in return, and we were off.

The applause got significantly louder, and I grinned at Gina in surprise, noticing Miss Jenn in the audience for the first time that night.

We took each other's hand and put them up, bowing together. She stepped aside pointing at me, and I did the same for her and she curtsied alone this time.

I was very happy this summer, being that my parents came down to California together to see the show. Even Kourtney's mom came! Ashlyn's parents, and EJ's aunt and uncle came to see the show. The Redonivich family came, Jet and Maddox had each other, and Emmy's mom and and third stepdad came. But, what a surprise, Terri Porter didn't show.

That didn't faze Gina much last year since she was used to it and no one else had parents come to see the show, but I could tell it was affecting her a bit more this time around.

But she was smiling.

I'd comfort her later.

•••

"Congratulations, everyone!" Maddox cheered. The barn was now cleared out, and all our families were coming in. As well as Miss Jenn.

We all sat down in chairs or on the stage, much like last year with Corbin.

You know, in season 3 episode 8, when "Jessica" and Bleu reunite.

This year, though, we were all surrounded by parents. I saw the pain in Gina's eyes as she sat alone on the edge of the stage. I was sitting on the stage, too, but my parents sat beside me.

When she noticed me looking at her finally, she smiled. Her eyes were brighter than usual, due to them watering a bit.

I wanted to stand up and hug her, but Miss Jenn placed a hand on my shoulder, keeping me down.

She walked over to Gina, sitting down beside her, and hugging her from the side.

"Oh, Gina." I heard Miss Jenn whisper. Gina's head laid on her shoulder, but she was facing away from me so I couldn't really see her current state. "The people you need are all right here."

Ashlyn's POV
"Gina? Wait, don't leave."

We'd all been sitting around and talking inside the barn for a while now, when she walked out, wiping at her eyes.

"I'll be back."

•••

"Gina," I walked into the yurt to find Gina lying with her face flat down on the bed.

"I'm so sick of it." Her muffled voice called out. "I'm so sick of her not caring about me. She doesn't even know me! I'm her only daughter and only child living with her, and she doesn't know me!"

"I know, Gina, I know. Life's not fair. But I am here."