Chapter 55: Freaking Seventeen Years Old

Ricky's POV
Miss Jenn and Gina are on stage together right now. The song The Wizard and I is just starting and I know for a fact that is Gina's favorite solo over I'm Not That Girl, Defying Gravity, and No Good Deed. It's also her favorite after For Good which she loves to sing with Ashlyn.

"Did that really just happen, have I actually understood? This weird quirk I tried to surprise or hide is a talent that could help me meet the wizard? If I make good, so I'll make good." She sang.

•••intermission•••
"Gina! Dude, you were so good!"

Gina ran into the rehearsal where most of us were waiting for intermission to start. But she was on stage right until the end.

She jumped into my arms and I lifted her up for a moment.

"That was so fun." She laughed, pulling away but leaving her finger tips on my chest. "I haven't had as much fun as that on stage in a long time."

"When was the last time?"

"Well, it probably would be back in HSM 3 when you and me did the different treehouse and balcony scenes, but some of those lines hit too close to home that night, so I don't know. But the first time I felt that way was on stage with Nini in HSM 1 when we did the cafeteria scene. I had a lot of fun doing that."

"Well, you did great."

"Thank you, so did you."

"Gina, you're doing awesome out there." Ash ran over and hugged her.

"Thank you. You're doing amazing."

"Gina, admit it. You're glowing."

"Stop it...okay, maybe I am. I'll admit, it feels good out there."

"You really were glowing out there, Babygirl." I tell her as Ash walks away.

"Ricky, I really think you're seeing sweat."

"Whatever it is, it's nice seeing you so happy."

"Is my makeup all rubbed off, I bet I look disgusting."

"You might want a touch up before act 2, but I think you look quite beautiful without makeup. I mean you're gorgeous with it, but it just amplifies your already present beauty."

"Yeah, well, I've got pimples and pores under there."

"You're a human, not some mannequin. I think you're perfect."

She was still frowning a bit.

"Gina, since when were you so insecure about this? I had no idea." I said, pulling her over to the side of the room. "You're such a beautiful person."

"Sometimes-" she paused when Rico walked past then lowering the volume of her voice. "Sometimes I look into the mirror, and I think I'm beautiful. But other times I look in the mirror and I don't like what I see...physically. And I know it's unrealistic, but I just don't always like my face or my hair...or my body."

"Gina, come here."

"Gina, we need to freshen up your makeup and get your next costume." Maddox called.

She sniffles, pulling away from my grasp.

"Gina, wait. You are so, so beautiful. And the second you feel like you're not, you tell me."

"Thanks, Ricky. Break a leg."

"I love you."

•••

"Congratulations, everyone! It was another fantastic show, and we need to take a minute to congratulate our five seniors. Ricky, Kourtney, Rico, Nini, and Lauren. We haven't know each other long, but you four have been incredibly important and impactful to our drama club, and we applaud you."

Gina grabs my hand. This club is the best things that's happened to me, and it's over. I feel the tears gathering in my eyes, but blink them away. I'll always have these friends, and I'm going to be happy for all of the success.

"I just want to say, you all have made my life and my mental state so much better and improved, and I can't wait to come back and see the rest of you next year."

Everyone cheered. There were so many amazing seniors moving on to new things.

"Now, before you all head off to your amazing party, remember that Monday is the annual career fair. Juniors will be taking a career aptitude test, and everyone is welcome to go around the fair. I will have a booth for the arts this year. Take tomorrow to charge up, and be ready for a great day on Monday!" Miss Jenn clapped.

"Hey, Junior, ready for your aptitude test?"

"As ready as I'll ever be. We'll see what happens. Ugh, I feel like such a baby." Gina laughs.

"You're not a baby, you're a freaking seventeen year old, Gina." I laughed.

"Yeah, okay, let's get to Ash's."