17| Who knew you were such a sweet talker?

I sit alone in the middle of the lacrosse field. I look up as Lainey walks towards me. She drops her bag to the ground before plopping down. She starts picking at the grass. I smile, doing the same.

When we were younger watching Stiles and Scott's practices whether it was little league or lacrosse, we'd sit criss cross picking at the grass.

"Lain, I'm sorry." I say. "I don't ever want us to be in a place where we don't talk. And I'm trying to see your point of view so bad-"

"I shouldn't have used Wanda's death against you. I know how much it must hurt and I haven't been there for you."

Grieving is a feeling I'm not familiar with. I didn't know how to handle it so I buried it, something I was always told not to do but I don't care.

"You're my best friend. And I just.. I don't want to lose you."

"You won't."

Her ability to see the best in people is something I wish I had. I look at Derek and see the son of a murderer. I think of all the possibilities that could've happened if she never died. 

Would she have been in my life? Would Wanda still be alive? Would I still be this close to Reed and Sue? Things I will never know. 

"Derek isn't his mother, Ror."

"I guess you're right.." I say. "But that doesn't mean he won't have people coming after him."

"You're keeping something from me."

I take in a deep breath. 

"The Hale's were a prominent werewolf family, Lain, very well respected. When there's a new Alpha they take notice."

"Who is they?"

"A pack of Alpha's. They're dangerous and will be coming for Derek. Which means they'll be looking at his Beta's."

"I'll be fine."

"You keep saying that like you're trying to convince yourself not me."

I grab her hand. I let out a shaky breath when I see nothing. 

"I aligned myself with the Argents."

She looks at me almost betrayed. 

"They hunt werewolves."

"Allison's dad helped my grandmother. And Allison has become both of our best friends. I trust him."

She nods. 

"And I trust Derek."

Deep down I know one of us will be betrayed and it isn't going to be me. Derek is selfish. He's building up a pack for his own agenda. 

"I might be a Banshee.." I change the subject. 

"Wait, what?"

"But that also means that Lydia might be one too. While you haven't been talking to me Stiles has been helping me figure out who this woman is after me."

"Stiles?" She raises her eyebrow. "So.. what is up with you two?"

"Umm.."

"I knew it! I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!" She yells. "Scott owes me a hundred bucks!"

"Excuse me has everyone been betting on me?" I ask. "Anyways, that's not the point. They talked about the Aries Twins, right? Banshees are harbingers of death, my grandmother said that the day I saw her in class."

"Lydia is a Banshee?"

"I think. At the hospital I tried getting inside her head and I was kicked out. I can't get into the heads of Banshees. But that only started after Peter bit her."