26| I can't let you die for me

The past week has consisted of Matt being murdered which means the kanima has a new master. Nobody knows who it is and I know I should care but with these extra days off I've done non stop research on the Darkhold with the help of Lainey. 

I've finally got a location. I throw a portal, looking at Lainey. This is something I wouldn't want to do with anyone else. 

"You ready?"

"Let's find out who you are."

We both walk through it and look around.

"Where are we?"

"Oregon."

"Why are we in Oregon?"

"Dark magic was used here.."

I walk down the empty street. There's no lights on inside any of the houses. No cars. And no sign of life but I can hear their heartbeats.

"Was or is?"

I hold my pointer finger to my closed mouth.

"They're still here."

We walk further down when I feel we are not alone. I grab Lainey's arm before turning around. A woman stands alone down the other side of the street staring at us.

"Why have you disturbed us?"

"You're witches."

"And you have disturbed our peace."

Dark purple balls form in her palms. She throws one and I catch it, reflecting it back to her. She doesn't expect it and takes the blow. She gets her composure back.

"Who are you?"

"It doesn't matter. I can feel the dark magic radiating off you.. you have recently been in contact with a book that I need."

"I cannot help you, child."

"I think you can.."

I walk towards her when Lainey grabs my arm and pulls me back.

"Rory, there's so many more of them than you."

I look around and many more witches have emerged. I try to make it seem like it doesn't scare me when it slightly does. I've never gone through a simulation containing more than ten assailants. 

"I need you to hide if something goes down."

"Rory.."

"Promise me, Lain?"

She shakes her head before giving in.

"Fine."

She reluctantly lets go of my arm and I continue.

"I need to know where the Darkhold is."

"The Book of the Damned corrupts anyone who reads it. Why would a teenager like yourself need it?"

"Because I'm the White Witch."

Her face completely changes. Whispers ensue around me. Suddenly they all bow down and I'm looked at like some sort of queen. They all reveal a mark on their arms. It looks like the zodiac symbol for Aries. 

"What is that?'

"It is the mark of the Aries Twin's protectors."

"Protectors?"

"You act surprised."

"Why?"

"Because there are people who will take advantage of the both of you. Many of us are good but there's a handful of sinister entities."