44| In another life we'd spend our dying days together

I look at the empty road ahead of me. I close my eyes, taking deep breaths. I open my eyes and the once empty road is now different.

Surrounding me is miles and miles of dead flowers. I'm in the right place. I slowly walk down it until three figures appear, surrounding a large cauldron.

I stop once I'm only a few feet away from them. I let out a shaky breath when my eyes lock on Wanda in the middle.

She smiles but it only lasts a second. To her right is my grandmother and the other side of her is my great grandmother.

"This road is not for every day use, Aurora."

I look at my grandmother.

"I know.."

"Life has not been kind to you, has it?"

Wanda looks at me with soft eyes.

"I lost Lainey."

"We know."

Of course they know. They're on the Other Side.

"Is that why you come?"

"I want to bring her back."

Wanda looks at the women beside her. Not a word is said but by the looks of it they don't need words to communicate.

"A price must be paid." My grandmother says. "But you already knew this."

"What are you willing to give up for her life restored?"

"My magic."

Each of their eyes look like they'll pop out of their head. They can't believe what I just said. And to be honest neither can I.

I've tried getting over Lainey's death. I really did. But I can't. I can't live the rest of my life without her.

"That is a hefty sacrifice for a mere mortal."

"She may not seem like anything to you but she was my other half." I hold back my tears. "I tried saving her and I failed."

They all whisper between one another.

"Rory, don't!"

I turn around, surprised to see Lydia. She runs towards me, grabbing my arms.

"H-how are you here?"

"I know you think we forget about her but we didn't. We loved Lainey as much as you did." She says. "I know it hurts, and I'm sorry.. but you cannot give up your magic for her."

"Lyd.."

"Rory?"

We turn our heads to the familiar voice.

"We cannot let you give up your magic, but we can give you a proper goodbye."

I run towards Lainey, throwing my arms around her. I never thought I'd see her again. I let her go to look at her face.

"Oh, Lain.. I'm sorry. I should've saved you."

"If anyone could've saved me, Rory.. it would've been you."

"It should've been me."

She shrugs.

"You're a hero.. don't forget that. And sometimes.. it doesn't always go in the heroes favor."

I hate how okay she is with this. How okay she is with being dead. It makes me so bad but she looks so at peace.

"Don't let my death turn you into someone you're not. You'll be okay."

I'll never be okay with her being gone. It hurts. Every single day it hurts.

"Watch after Stiles and my dad for me." She smiles. "My memory will never be gone so long as you're there."

"I don't wanna live without you, Lain."

"You'll be okay." A single tear falls down her cheek. "I couldn't have asked for a better best friend and soulmate all in one."

"I don't want to say goodbye."

"In another life we'd spend our dying days together."

My mind goes back to what my mom told me. Wanda saw something in us that's rare.

"In another life I saved you.. and we'd be happy."

"But not in this one."

I shake my head. All things are meant to happen for a reason. If I had changed that then I'd be messing with our timeline.

She knows it. They all know it. We were never meant to get our happy ending.

"I know you have Allison and Lydia to keep you company while I'm gone.. but someone very special is coming your way." She smiles. "Protect her the way you couldn't protect me."

The last sentence stings.

"Does it hurt?"

"Not anymore."

"I'll love you until the end of time, Alaina Stilinski."

"And I'll be waiting for you on the Other Side, Aurora Martin, however long it takes."

This is our goodbye. The last time I'll ever see her. Tears start falling down my face as her body turns into dust.

I look at Wanda. She slowly puts her hand down and smiles.

"I'm sorry it had to be this way, Aurora."

"Me too."

"Life isn't fair at times but the good outweighs the bad."

"It doesn't matter how many people I save.. I'll always know I couldn't save the one that mattered the most."

"It feels that way-"

"I felt her die." I cut her off. "That's how strong of a bond I had with her. And now she's gone.. forever."

She lets out a sigh. Wanda doesn't get it. None of them get it. A piece of me is gone.

Lainey died and a piece of me died with her. I'll never be the same. Life will move on and it'll get easier. But not now.

"Thank you.. for giving me the goodbye I didn't get with her."

I turn around to Lydia. I walk towards her and hug her.

"I'll always be by your side, Rory."

"I know, Lyd."