59| Our next generation of Fantastic Four

I stare at the ceiling, taking deep breaths. A knock on the door makes me sit up. I flick my wrist and the door swings open. Sue stands in the hallway.

"He's ready but most importantly.."

"I'm here!"

Kira pops into the doorway.

"Kira!"

I jump off my bed and run into her arms. Saying I've missed her is a severe understatement. I've spent most of the summer here in New York with Sue and Reed.

I haven't seen anyone in Beacon since classes ended from junior year. Liam's made sure to Skype me any chance he gets. He gives me the updates on everyone. I think he calls more than my mom.

"I missed you!"

"I'll let you girls catch up before Reed comes up."

Kira's from New York so her family has been here since classes ended too. We sit on my bed to catch up even though we've been texting to find time for her to come to Baxter Building.

Reed only gives us ten minutes before coming up to get us. This is Reed's first time meeting anyone from my life in Beacon Hills. He can me intimidating but Kira doesn't care. She's all smiles and giggles.

We sit around the office until he's done with my suit. I look over at Kira, who's staring at the wall.

"Have you talked to Scott?"

"No.. he told me to have fun here, remember?"

"Have you?"

"This is the most fun I've had all summer."

"My latest prototype."

Reed walks in with two suits. He hands one to me and the other to Kira. She hesitantly grabs it.

"Each of the suits are tailored to your powers."

"You didn't have to waste materials-"

"You're very powerful, Kira." He says. "It would be a shame to let your power go to waste."

She smiles. I leave to put my suit on. I look at it in the mirror. The signature blue of the Fantastic Four stares back at me. It makes me feel guilty for agreeing to become an Avenger.

The Avengers are the worlds greatest protectors. But Reed and Sue have been my second parents. I made a mistake. I don't want to become an Avenger. I want to become a Fanatic Four.

I walk out and Kira's wearing a new identical suit. Hers is slightly different because obviously our powers are different.

"This looks so cool!"

I smile and laugh. She's so excited. We walk back to the office so Reed can see. We both pose in proper superhero style and I swear his eyes sparkle.

"Our next generation of Fantastic Four."

"F-fantastic Four? I can't be a hero."

"I don't know if you noticed but there's a slit in the back where you can put your katana."

"Is this you trying to recruit us?"

Reed stands up, taking in a deep breath.

"The world needs heroes like you.. and you, Kira." He says. "It's a dangerous place but you can make it better."

I smile and turn to Kira. I hold my hand up. This is a lot to take in. At least for her.

"I wouldn't want anyone else by my side protecting this planet." I smile. "You've made me feel alive again."

She takes my hand.

"I don't know how my parents will feel about it.. but yes. Saving the world sounds good if it's with you."

"Perfect!"

Reed claps his hands together.