Chapter 9

Vanessa's POV

Kevin and I don't say a lot while we are walking through what is left of the barn it wasn't destroyed but it was damaged. The back part was burnt the most and the back walls were black a few stalls were lost and would have to be rebuilt but we didn't lose any of our horses. The two of us keep walking and look up at the roof it wasn't damaged much just a few burnt places so all of Nick's work hadn't been wasted, Kevin and I make it back to the barn doors one of them would have to be completely rebuilt the other one just needed new paint. We did notice something though with every step we took the smell of gasoline got stronger.

Mallory's POV

I take a deep breath then lean my head against the cool dark wood of the desk that used to belong to our grandfather it wasn't good right now we couldn't afford to rebuild the barn. After the repairs, the new horses, and the cows the money just wasn't there our grandfather owned this ranch his whole life and this never happened to him. We didn't to let him down hopefully we would be able to find a way to rebuild I get up then walk over and open the window. I take a deep breath and inhale but stop because something smelt off but I couldn't tell what it was.

Stacey's POV

I'm physically exhausted and emotionally drained after telling the story of what happened last night to the sheriff and investigators they tell me about the gasoline and two containers they found in the woods near the barn it was arson. Someone did this on purpose we haven't even been here six months and someone wanted to harm us I was scared but I wasn't going to let Mal or Vanessa know how I felt. The good news was insurance would cover the barn so that would help us out I just wish this meeting with the sheriff and the investigators could end already. I had a headache, I was tired from being up most of the night and we didn't get the chance to eat breakfast this morning. Today was going to be a long day.

Howie's POV

I'm standing in the pasture with the horses they were still a little nervous after last night but in a few days they would be fine I look up and see Diablo standing off by himself if he wasn't bothering me I wasn't going to bother him. I smelt gasoline all around the barn this morning and I had my own suspicion about the fire I knew Stacey's ex had to have something to do with this I saw how acted when she didn't get back with him. He was mad and I knew he would set the barn on fire in a heartbeat but I didn't want to say anything out of the way because I loved this job so I was going to keep my opinions to myself.

Nick's POV

I finally get so frustrated with the fence I'm working on I get up then kick it and start pacing back and forth I can't believe that she ran into a burning barn. I barely knew her, I had kissed her twice and I was already starting to feel protective over her even though she wasn't mine. I should have been the one to try and get Diablo out of that barn I'm supposed to help take care of the animals it's part of my job and I wasn't able to do it I sigh then go back to the fence. I know I shouldn't feel this way but I do about the job and about Mallory. I do feel that way though and I don't know what I should do about it.