Chapter 46

Mallory's POV

Vanessa is sitting next to me in the waiting room of the doctor's office she already knew so I wanted her with me for support I was scared to death about the possibility of being pregnant I did want kids but right now Nick wasn't here. I feel Ness touch my arm and I look over at her she smiles "Everything will be fine Mal I promise." I nod then look up when the nurse calls my name Ness follows me into one of the examining rooms then I talk to the nurse and she has me do a few samples then the hard part came the long waiting. I slowly pace around the small room and start thinking about a lot of different things what was I going to do if I was? How would Nick react when I told him? And How was I going to tell my family? The doctor walks in and I see my chart in his hand he looks at me "We have your test results you are pregnant and based on your samples it looks like you're three months pregnant." He stays and gives me information and tells me when to make another appointment then walks out of the room I was shocked I couldn't believe I was pregnant Vanessa hugs me "I'm going to be an aunt." At least one of us was looking at this in a good way.

Nick's POV

I stop the truck then I get out and grab my bags I was finally home I had enough money to buy Mallory's engagement ring I couldn't wait to see her again I really missed her I walk in the house and find Kevin and Howie in the kitchen. They look up at me when I walk in Kevin walks over "Nice to have you back Kid." "It's good to be back I missed it here." Howie walks over "Plan on staying awhile?" I laugh and nod "Yeah I plan on being here awhile I better get back to work." I leave my bags in the house and walk out to one of the sheds then stop when I walk in and see Mallory inside she was with someone else he was kissing down her neck and was pulling on her shirt she looks up and her eyes get wide when he sees me "Nick?" She pulls away then walks over to e and I look down at her "Mal what's going on who's this guy?" "Nick what are you doing here when did you get home? This is Derek we hired him." So that was it then she had replaced me I turn and walk out she grabs my arm "Nick wait." I jerk my arm away and keep walking and I don't look back at her. I had to get away I needed to blow off some steam I saddle up on of the horses then start riding around to check on the cows and keep going further my horse starts acting up I look down and try to see what's wrong but I don't see anything the horse takes a few more steps then he rears back on his legs and I fall off the horse when I hit the ground my head hits something hard I hear the familiar sound of a rattlesnake then everything fades to black.

Group POV

The hours pass and the sun starts to go down it would be dark soon and Nick still hasn't made it back we needed to go look for him Mallory slides on her boots and she has Diablo saddled in minutes. Vanessa looks at us "I saw him heading toward the cow pasture." Mal doesn't wait to hear anymore she takes off in a full gallop and jumps one of the fences to get there faster Ness looks at Kevin "Please go with her so she doesn't break her neck." He nods then follows her and jumps the fence to the rest of us ride in a group together hoping that we would be able to find Nick and maybe nothing bad has happened to him.

Kevin's POV

I catch up with Mallory and we keep riding out a little while later she lets out a scream then jumps off Diablo and gets on the ground next to Nick I get off my horse and see something move I look over and see a rattlesnake fixing to strike I pull out my gun and shoot it then it falls on the ground in a motionless pile. Mallory looks up at me "Kev he's not waking up." I walk over and get on the ground next to her "Calm down Mal." I find that Nick hit his head and he's just unconscious. Everyone else arrives a little while later we all lift Nick onto a horse then carry him back to the house and put him in bed.