Chapter 48

Nick's POV

I walk in the barn and see Mallory standing there she looks up when she sees me I take a step forward then she jumps and starts backing away from me. I just stand there and look at her I wanted to take Stacey's advice but I just couldn't find the words I take a few more steps and she continues to back away from me she doesn't look at me and she's not trying to argue or fight I look at her and take her in she was even more pale than usual and her green eyes that once held so much life were dull and empty then I realize what was wrong. She had changed her spirit was crushed and she wasn't wild anymore I took someone who was wild and full of life and broke her now she was just an empty shell with no will to live all because of the words I said she avoids me and carefully steps around me then she leaves the barn I didn't know what to do or if I should go after her but I wonder what have I done?

A FEW DAYS LATER

I'm able to go back to work after the doctor examines me and says my concussion has faded. I walk outside and see the guys loading up horses that are ready to be sold I walk over and start helping then I hear a noise coming from the barn I look up and see Kevin and Howie trying to lead Diablo over to the trailer I lead one of the other horses in then walk over the guys and look at them "What are you doing?" Kevin looks at me "Mal said she wanted to sell Diablo we all tried to talk her out of it but she insisted." I couldn't believe this I was shocked there was no way she would sell that horse she loved Diablo the two of them were just alike wild and crazy. I look at them "Take him back to the barn don't do anything until I get back I'll go talk to her." They take him back to the barn and I walk off I haven't seen Mal since that day in the barn so I don't know where she is the one problem about this place being so big it's hard to find people but I needed to find her so we can talk. I find her sitting by the pond still pale and her face is wet with tears I walk over and sit down next to her she pulls her arms around herself I sigh then look at her. "Why are you wanting to sell Diablo? He belongs with you I don't think you should do that." She doesn't look at me but she does answer "He needs someone like him someone different I'm broken Nick I can't be that person anymore." . The fight was gone she had given up I killed her "I'm sorry for the things I said to you I was hurt and I take it all back just please come back to life." She looks at me "I'm sorry for hurting you Nick I didn't mean for that to happen I hate myself for it but I do love you. I reach over and slowly take her hand "Let's start over we can put it behind us we can take it slow this time." She looks up and I see a tiny spark of hope in her eyes "I'd like that." I don't push it but I don't let go of her hand "I'm never leaving you again I promise." We had a long way to go but hopefully she would be herself again.

Kevin's POV

With Nick being able to work again the day I was looking forward to had finally come I grab his check then leave the office and go look for him he had caused nothing but trouble while he was here now it was time for him to leave. I find him at one of the sheds he looks up when I walk in I walk over to him and hand him his check "That's it you're done we don't need your help here anymore pack your bags and get out." He looks at me and I can tell that he wants to say something but he makes the wise decision to keep his mouth shut then he goes to the bunk house to start packing his bags and later that afternoon he gets in his truck and leaves hopefully we would never see him again.

Mallory's POV

I was really nervous about tonight Nick and I were going on a date plus I decided it was time to tell him I was pregnant in a few weeks I would be close to five months and I wouldn't be able to hide it forever. Nick and I go for dinner then we start walking down an empty gravel road together the silence wasn't bad and the only sound was our feet making the gravel crunch I take a deep breath then look up at the full moon in the sky that's casting a glow on the road I feel something touch my hand and I jump I look over and see Nick smiling. "Why are you so jumpy tonight Mal?" This was it now or never I had to tell him I look up at him and hope that he would happy "I'm pregnant Nick." He stops he doesn't move and he doesn't say anything I stand and wait it takes a few minutes then he looks at me "Are you really?' I nod then he hugs me and kisses me I kiss back and wrap my arms around his neck then he looks at me. "I always thought about having kids but now that it's true I'm excited and I'm so happy about this." Nick was going to be a great dad and I was glad he was happy.

Stacey's POV

Howie and I walk in the kitchen to see everyone sitting at the table we both sit down and I wonder if this is another one of Kevin's meetings but I'm surprised when Nick and Mallory stand up and I wonder what's going on with the two of them. Nick looks at all of us and Mallory reaches over and holds his hand he takes a deep breath "Mallory and I have something to tell all of you." I start thinking about what it could be, have they decided to leave and move to his house in the mountains or had he proposed to her Mallory coughs then looks at us "I'm pregnant Nick and I are going to have a baby." I was surprised I wasn't expecting this but I was really happy for them the three of us spent a lot of time here when we were little so it would be great to have a baby on the ranch.