Chapter 78

Kevin's POV

I was standing outside with Howie, Brian and Aaron Vanessa was inside and Nick and Mallory were nowhere to be seen in Mal's case that could be a good thing due to her little standoff a few weeks ago. I look up when the familiar truck of Mr. Lincoln pulls up I sigh when he walks over with two different workers this time he meets my eyes "I've come to make you another offer I'll go up fifty thousand from my original offers and you stay working for me." Howie steps up next to me and looks at me. "You've been told multiple times that the ranch isn't for sale I think you should go now." He looks at Howie "That's too bad hope there aren't any accidents or anything here." There's a gunshot and the hat on his head flies off with a single hole in it we all look at each other I see Nick by the fence with a rifle he shakes his head Nick didn't fire the shot. He looks up and we follow his gaze and see Mallory standing on the roof looking down at us her eyes on Mr. Lincoln with one of the other rifles in her hand.

 Lincoln with one of the other rifles in her hand

Group POV

We were shocked we couldn't believe that Mal had shot at him he looks up at her still standing on the roof. "Well the little lady is quite a shot." We hear her load the gun again then Nick walks over with his rifle. Kevin looks at Mr. Lincoln "That was your only warning you better walk away while you still can." He looks around then sends Mallory another glance he clears his throat then gets in his truck with the workers and leaves.

Vanessa's POV

I walk out of the house and go outside to the truck we were out of a few things so I was going to make a trip to the store I get in the truck then start it. I drive down the driveway and start to slow down then hit the brake to stop before I pull out in the road but I don't slow down and I don't stop either the truck keeps going I hear a loud horn I look up and see a truck coming toward me. I hear the sound of metal hitting metal then glass shattering I hit the seat as the truck keeps moving when I sit up everything is blurry I put my fingers against my head then look at them and see red I feel dizziness hit me then everything starts spinning and after that everything turns black.

Group POV

The guys were all outside working in the field Kayla and Stacey were inside with James and Aurora, Mallory and Leigh Anne had gone outside to the garden to bring in a few things for later. There's a loud sound not far from the driveway Mallory and Leigh Anne share a look with each other Mallory takes off and starts running down the driveway she stops when she reaches it and sees the truck in a tangled mess. Mallory runs over and looks in the window then she turns and looks at Leigh Anne who had caught up with her. "Call 911 there's been an accident it's Vanessa." She nods then pulls out her phone then makes the call.

Group POV

Mallory stays with Ness while Leigh Anne goes back to the house to tell them what had happened she heads for the barn to saddle up but stops when she sees Aaron walking up. She looks at him "Ness has been in a car accident it looks really bad go get the guys." He nods then gets back on his horse and rides off to the fields to get Nick and the others Leigh Anne and Stacey go to the scene to see Vanessa Kayla stays behind at the house with James and Aurora. We were all upset about this Ness was a great driver the truck was new it should have worked and we were all hoping there were no serious injuries and that Ness was going to be okay.

Kevin's POV

The guys and I were working in the fields we look up when we see Aaron riding toward us he stops his horse then runs over to us. "Vanessa was in an accident Mal, Stacey, and Leigh Anne are with her they said it's not looking good right now." We all get on our horses and start heading back dread starts coursing through my body I feel like I could get sick but I know that right now I can't Vanessa needs me. I knew that none of this was an accident Mr. Lincoln definitely had something to do with this he had mentioned something about there being an accident I was furious right now Lincoln better pray that Ness survived or he was going to be a dead man.