Chapter 61

Kevin's POV

We were all sitting around the kitchen table Mallory had Aurora in her arms and I was standing at the head of the table it was time for a meeting. "We still have horses and cows that are delivering one of the mares will drop any day now it's time to start vaccinating the other animals and start cutting the hay soon." Then Howie speaks up "We need to look at the fences and do some repairs on a few of them Taz managed to get out the other day." I nod then Stacey joins the conversation "The apples are almost ready to harvest and we need to start planting the blueberries." I was surprised at how much we had going on even with Brian helping us we would still be overwhelmed and short of help. I take a deep breath then look at everyone sitting in front of me. "The ranch is still making money with everything we need to hire another ranch hand." We all sit there in silence for a while trying to think of someone to hire then Nick speaks up "We could hire my brother Aaron." Mallory looks at Nick and I can tell she's surprised by what Nick said.

Mallory's POV

After the meeting Kevin and Howie go outside to get to work while Vanessa and Stacey go outside to work in the orchards I walk over to Nick and look up at him. "Why didn't you ever tell me that you had a brother Nick I thought we were honest with each other?" He sighs then turns around and looks down at me. "My brother Aaron is younger than me we haven't always gotten along and we aren't close like you and your sisters are we haven't been close in a while. The two of us are actually patching things up I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner." I take a deep breath then hug him and wrap my arms around his waist. He picks up Aurora then looks at me and I look back at him "Can we trust him Nick?" He nods "He's a pain like most younger siblings are but he's a good worker he can be a goofball too Aurora will love him." At the mention of her name she starts crying and I knew what that meant. Nick kisses her head then walks over and places her in my arms "I better get to work looks like she's hungry I'll let you get to work." He kisses the side of my neck then walks out of the house and I sit down to feed Aurora.

Aaron's POV

I get out of my truck and look around then I see Nick walking toward me he reaches me and pats me on the back. "It's good to see you Aaron." I feel relieved this was off to a good start "It's good to see you too Nick thanks for calling I could really use the job." He nods then I follow him around as he gives me a tour of the ranch it was huge but it was a really nice place. We walk by pastures and I see cows, horses and goats then we pass a field of corn Nick tells me about the ranch and everything that is going on he takes me through apple and grape orchards there's even a garden behind the house. I nod as he continues telling me about all of the work that needs to be done even with everyone working they are still short on people it was going to be great working here Nick seemed to like it here so I knew I would too. We start walking back to my truck so I can get my bags and move into the bunkhouse and I see a girl with brown hair playing with a baby girl. I stop and look over at them "That's a cute baby who is she?" Nick looks over at them "That's my fiancé Mallory and our daughter Aurora." I couldn't believe it I was an uncle.

" I couldn't believe it I was an uncle

Nick's POV

Aaron and I walk over to Mallory and Aurora Mallory looks up at us and she smiles at both of us I walk over and stand next to her. I look at Aaron "Aaron this is Mallory and this is our daughter Aurora Nicole Carter." Aaron nods at Mallory then the two of them start talking I was happy that the two of them got along fast. I look down at Aurora the same time he does "Can I hold her?" Mallory nods then she passes Aurora over to Aaron he looks at her and starts talking to her and she babbles back at him. He smiles then starts walking around with her and singing to her she coos back like she's singing too I look at Mal standing next to me and she's smiling. I wrap my arm around her waist "What are you smiling for?" She looks up at me "She adores him he's hooked already she's going to have him doing everything for her." I look over at my brother with my daughter in his arms and she's giving him her perfect baby smile and he's tickling her. "You're right that gives us another babysitter for when we have our next one." I kiss her jaw then bite down on the side of her neck.

Group POV

We are all gathered in the kitchen getting ready to eat lunch when Nick and Mallory walk in with Aaron following behind them and Aurora is in his arms. They all sit down and Kevin looks at him "Things are pretty easy once you get the hang of it you get to stay in the bunk house for free so is your food and the girls pay us every two weeks. We get up around seven eat breakfast start work around eight then end the day at sundown." Aaron nods "Thank you for hiring me I'll work hard I promise." We start eating and ask Aaron questions and get to know him a little better he answers all of our questions and tells us stories about him and Nick when they were younger. While we are eating lunch Aurora dozes off for her nap in his arms.