Midnight

“Hey, did you ever get a chance to ask your mom about your birthmark again while you were gone?” asked Ashton as I reached up grabbing a book from the shelf.

Looking down at where my shirt lifted exposing the side of my lower back I saw the piece of my birthmark.

Grabbing my book as he leans up against the wall looking at a book about drums I say, “Yeah.”

“And what did she say?”

“The same as always. That she didn’t know what it was.”

Ashton nodded as he continues to read.

Growing up I didn’t have a birthmark. My brother did, it was an odd circle on his ankle, but me no. It wasn’t until I turned 8 that it appeared and I freaked out and asked my mom where it came from. Of course she didn’t know, but she told me it wasn’t bad to have birthmarks that it just made us more special. Then right after my Uncle passed away it began to darken out of nowhere, forming into the shape of a crescent moon and marks by it.

“Hey mom how did I get my birthmark?” I had asked her one day.

She shrugged and said, “I don’t know honey, one day it wasn’t there and the next it was. Why do you ask about it so much?”

I shrugged because I honestly didn’t know.

Picking up a couple of books I straightened out my shirt as I said, “You ready?”

Standing up straight he puts his book back on the shelf as he says, “Yeah.”

Walking to the line I took in Ashton’s outfit and noticed that he wasn’t dressed like his normal, I’m in a garage band attire.

“You seeing Angel today?” I asked as we waited in line.

“What makes you ask that?” he asks.

“Because you look nice today.” I say.

“I look nice everyday.”

“You look like you been playing a sold out show everyday.”

He smiles and doesn’t respond.

“So you do have a date with Angel, don’t you?” I smiled bumping my hip into him.

He nods, “Yeah I do.”

“Really? That’s like the 3rd one this week! She must really like you and you must really like her because,” leaning to him I take in a breath as I say, “You have on cologne.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“So it’s been like what almost 5 dates? What do you think about her?” I ask.

“I’m not tell you anything.” He says.

“Come on Ash please.”

He shakes his head.

“Nope.”

“Ashton Irwin come on you have to tell me.”

He shakes his head again, “Nope.”

“Ashton Fletcher Irwin! Tell me or I’m not buying you vegemite.”

Ashton smiles and says, “That’s not far you know vegemite is one of my weaknesses.”

“Vegemite is one of many of your weaknesses.” I say, “So spill.”

Ashton takes a deep breath as he says, “Banana, she is amazing. I love her laugh and the way she smiles. She is sweet, smart, and her sass is perfection! She doesn’t take bull shit and I love it. I like the way her eyes lights up when she smiles and,”