Guess Whose Over For Dinner (Part 1 Long)

"What time is he getting here again?"

This was the 3rd time my dad has asked the question since he first came into the house.
"At 6:30 honey." Says mom as she stands at the counter cutting up onions and peppers.

"And why is he coming again?" Asked Dad as he takes off his gun and badge laying it on the table.

Picking up the towel that laid next to her mom hits dad on the arm as she says, "No guns on the table Jared, you know the rules." Dad picks up his gun as he replaces it back on his hip as mom says, "And he is coming because I want to meet this guy that our daughter is spending her every moment with."

"I don't spend my every moment with him." I say as I grab the dinner plates aligning them so I could set the table.

"No, you spend every breathing second you can with him, if you didn't have to sleep or if you didn't have your own life to live I'm pretty sure you two would be joined at the hip." Says Daniel as he leans against the wall.

"He seems like a well-rounded kid from what I saw when he brought and sat with Anna at the hospital." Says Dad.

"I think he is a sweet kid." Says mom.

"And I think he is a fucking joke." Mumbles Daniel.

Looking at him I say, "So when you're on the field you two get along but off you don't like him?"

"There's just something about the kid. Something is off and considering the rumors going around,"

"You can't listen to rumors." I snap, "If people always listened to rumors then they'll begin to believe in the craziness being said."

"So you don't believe what is being said?"

I shake my head, "I don't listen to it because I know it's not true."

"How?" Daniel asked.

"Because he told me." I said.

Daniel shakes his head as he grabs a apple from the fruit bowl taking a bite, "Say what you want but something is up with the kid. He is taking steroids or something."

"Why? Because for once you found someone who can keep up with you on the field?"

"Harry's a good player?" asked Dad.

"No," says Daniel.

"Yes." I say, "He keeps up with Daniel with each play, and coach even said it himself that he was thinking about giving Harry the spot of being one of the guards behind Daniel."

"A guard huh?" Dad nods his head in amusement, "Kid must be a damn good blocker."

"Eh, he's alright." Says Daniel.

"Daniel is just upset because Harry might take his spot." I joke.

"Not even, the kid might be good but he isn't my kind of good."

"Your kind of good?" says Mom, "And what exactly is your kind of good?"

Daniel smiles, "Can't tell you that mom, that'll be spilling valuable secrets."

Mom smiles and nods, "That's understandable."

"Hey dad did you hear about the trades going on in the league?"

"No, who's getting drafted?" asked dad.

As Dad and Daniel walk out the room discussing sports I finish helping mom put the food on, as I go and set the table.

"Annabelle," calls mom from the kitchen.

"Yes?" I say as I place down the last glasses on the table as I turn and head back into the kitchen.