A New Case

Dean's POV

Sam and I were back at the bunker working on a case. Sam was sitting at his laptop doing research while I was grabbing a couple beers from the kitchen. “So,” I started, walking up to Sam and handing him a beer, “We looking at a vamps’ nest?”

We had caught wind of this case yesterday, after we left Big Gerson’s. There had been a few missing persons and a ton of people found dead, completely drained of blood.

Sam took a swig of his beer. “Yeah, but Dean… These vamps aren’t even trying to stay hidden. They’re extremely sloppy.”

Generally, vampires will at least try to stay safe. They’ll hunt with caution just in case a hunter rolls into town. “So, we got a nest of newbie vamps? Well that’s just great.” I replied sarcastically. Sam raised his eyebrows in agreement.

“So,” I began, getting cut off by the sound of rustling wings. Cas suddenly appeared in front of us and started pacing. Sam looked at me, confused. For a moment, we just stood there, watching Cas. Finally, I broke the silence. “Um… Cas? You ok? And where have you been? I haven’t seen you since you disappeared yesterday.”

“Yeah, you seemed a little weird. What was that?” Sam asked curiously.

Cas stopped pacing and looked at me. He had that look in his eye that he usually got when he was confused or worried. He said nothing, just stared at me. “Cas, come on, talk to us.” Sam urged. Cas looked at Sam then back at me. “I met a girl. Amber”

The corners of my mouth pulled up in a slight grin. “Cas, you sly dog! So, that’s where you’ve been?”

“Yes, but Dean, that’s not all.”

“Woah, Cas.” I stopped him, holding up my hands. “Don’t need the details.”

Cas closed his eyes in annoyance. “Just listen. I didn’t just meet some random girl and ‘hit it off.’ She looks extremely familiar.” Cas began to pace again, only stopping when one of us said something.

“I’m not seeing the problem, Cas.” Sam told him, slightly confused. Cas sighed in frustration. “The problem is that this isn’t any normal feeling.”

“What could possibly be a ‘normal’ feeling for an angel?” I asked.

Cas looked at me, annoyed. “A normal feeling of familiarity would be seeing someone and knowing where I’ve seen them. This girl looks too familiar for me to let this go. I can’t figure out where I’ve seen her, and she’s not helping me.”

Sam looked at me, not sure what to say. “Um… Ok… So, is there, um, anything else about her that you could tell us?”

“Well, she just happens to be a fan of the Supernatural books.”

“Ugh!” I shouted angrily. “Damnit, Chuck!”

Sam disregarded my annoyance, even though I knew he didn’t like the idea of those books still being out there either. However, there was nothing we could do about it. Charlie made that clear. “Ok, so what did she do when she met you?”

Cas stopped pacing immediately. He slowly turned to face Sam. “She thinks I’m a fan.”

I busted out laughing. Cas glared at me and Sam tried to hold back his laughter. I slowly tried to regain my posture. “I-I’m sorry, man.” I said as I started to calm down. “That’s just too funny.”

Cas looked back at Sam, still looking for help. “So, did you actually tell her your name?”

“Yes, of course.” Cas replied, not understanding why he was asking that. Sam looked at me, and I sighed. “Dude, you have no idea how obsessed that makes you sound to a fan. Especially given the fact that you’re wearing the trench coat and everything.” I motioned to Cas’s clothes.

“I’m sorry.” Cas apologized. “I didn’t know she was a fan. She told me that after I said my name. I thought she was a hunter when she recognized the name…” Cas looked down, ashamed at his stupidity.

“Ok… So we got a girl that looks really familiar to you, that just happens to know all about us…” Sam stated. “Well… That’s just…”

“Buckets-o-crazy?” I finished.

“Yeah.”

“So, are you going to help me figure this out or not?” Cas asked, getting impatient.

“Yeah, yeah.” I replied. “We’ll help.”

“Ok, good. She invited me to some costume party on Thursday… Maybe I could find out more then.”

“Woah, woah, woah, Cas.” I interrupted. “You, got invited to a party?”

“Yes, it would seem.”

“This girl just met you, what yesterday?”

“Yes.”

“Does that matter, Dean?” Sam interrupted. “You meet a girl and then an hour later you’re banging her.” I looked at him then looked at Cas. I didn’t say anything for a minute, thinking about the last girl I met. I raised an eyebrow and then slightly smiled at the memory, then shook it off. “Well, Cas, I gotta say I’m impressed.” Sam shook his head. “So, you said costume party?”

“Yes.” Cas replied.

“Well…” I looked at Cas, waiting. “What do you plan on going as?”

“Amber said she was going as a fallen angel, so I should go as an angel…”

I chuckled. “You’re serious?” I looked at Sam. “Is he serious?”

Sam shrugged. “It makes sense, Dean. The girl meets a guy that dresses like Cas and is named Cas…”

“She wants me to wear wings.” Cas interrupted.

I looked at him, surprised. Angels don’t have visible wings. Why would she ask Castiel to wear wings when he doesn’t even have visible ones? “Ok, so just strap on your angel wings, Cas.”

Cas looked at me and just stared. I frowned. “Woah, what now?”

“I can’t just ‘strap on’ my wings. I never let anyone see them. Do you really think I would let a room full of people see them?”

“Ok, so buy some wings, or mojo them, whatever the hell you do, and put them on over your trench coat.” I instructed him.

Cas looked at the two of us one last time, unsure. Then he disappeared, the sound of wings flapping away.

“Alright, then.” I said.

“So, what are we gonna do? We can’t just abandon the case.”

“No…” I thought for a minute. “It’s a nest of newbie vampires. They should be easy to take out. Let’s just gank ‘em, and then we can help Cas.” Sam nodded.