Breakfast On The Road

Sam's POV

We decided we were going to stick around for a little while and keep an eye on Amber. Stanford was a pretty big town so we weren't really worried about being seen. It had been about an hour since we stopped for gas. Dean and I had traded off so he could take a nap. It was starting to get lighter outside.

I felt my stomach growl. I hadn't eaten since before Cas showed up at the bunker with Amber. We were getting closer to Stanford, so more buildings were coming up. I pulled up in the parking lot of a Denny's café. We hadn't been to one of those since we were kids. I looked over at Dean and Amber. They were both still sleeping. I debated whether I should wake them up. Nah, I'll let them sleep and just pick up their food. I thought.

I pulled out the key and got out, closing the door quietly. I took one last look at them to make sure they were still sleeping. I walked past a few cars and up to the door. The place wasn't as packed as I remembered. I walked up to the counter. "Hi! Welcome to Denny's. Will you be eating here or to-go?" The lady at the counter asked.

"Um, to-go, please. Thanks." I gave her a quick smile as she took that down. She pulled out a menu and handed it to me. "Our special this week is if you order three meals, you get a free dessert and its only $25." Huh, how convenient. I thought. I smiled at her again before looking at the menu.

When I was finished deciding on breakfast, I handed the menu back to the lady. I ordered an english muffin for myself, so it would be easier to eat since I'm driving. I got some bacon and sausages for Dean. That's about the only thing he would want that wouldn't get all over his car so I got him a bunch. I wasn't sure what Amber would've wanted so I just got her an english muffin and some bacon. I also ordered some pie since we get a free dessert, and Dean would kill me if I didn't.

She wrote it all down then took it to the kitchen. When she came back she handed me the bill, and I gave her a twenty and a ten for a tip. She smiled at me as she took the money. They weren't that busy so I only had to wait about five minutes. I grabbed the food and walked back out to the car. Surprisingly, Dean was still asleep. I had expected him to wake up and burst through the front door of the café pissed that I didn't wake him up.

I walked up to his window and knocked on it, right next to his head. He woke up with a start and looked around until he saw me on the other side of the window. He glared at me and I smirked, holding up the food in one hand and a thumbs up in the other. His eyes suddenly lit up, abandoning the glare, and his hand went to his stomach. I clearly wasn't the only one that was hungry.

I walked around the car and slid into the driver seat. I took out Dean's bacon and sausages and handed them to him. "Oh yeah." He said as he started eating. I laughed as I turned around and nudged Amber. She stirred and then opened those big blue eyes to look at me. I pulled out her food and handed it to her. "Breakfast."

She sat up quickly and snatched it from my hands. She was definitely hungry. She took a big bite out of her english muffin then swallowed it. "Thanks, Sam." She said. I nodded in acknowledgment. "No problem." I went to pull mine out so it would be in my hand when I started driving. "Oh, Dean." I pulled out the pie and handed it to him. "Free dessert."

He grabbed the pie and looked at me. I'd swear this was the happiest day of his life. I smiled then started the car. I picked up my breakfast then started eating it as we continued on the road to Stanford.

It was quiet for a little while as we all ate our breakfast. Clearly, no one wanted to ruin this food-filled moment. Dean turned on the radio, and we listened to the same music we always do as we finished up: classic rock. I rolled my eyes and smiled. I had gotten used to always listening to the same music, I just stopped arguing about it.

When we finished eating, Amber broke the silence. "So, you guys wanna tell me why you think I can't handle myself?" Dean and I looked at each other. I could tell by the look on his face that we were thinking the same thing. Oh crap, she heard us talking earlier.

I turned to look at her. She looked at me and then moved next to the door to crank the window back up. I sighed. Might as well talk. "Look, its not that we think you can't handle yourself, its..." I glanced at Dean for some help. He just shrugged and urged me to continue. Classic Dean. I looked back at the road. I could feel Amber's eyes on me.

"Its just... We don't know what these voices are. We don't know what's happening." I got out. She cocked an eyebrow. "You don't think I wanna know what's going on? I'm dying to know! But that doesn't mean I can't handle myself."

"You also gotta remember that you now know what's really out there." Dean added in. "Its not all lollipops and candy canes."

Amber rolled her eyes. "I realize that. And I get you guys wanna stick around, keep an eye on things, but you don't have to keep it a secret from me."

"I know..." I told her, sighing. "And we're sorry." Dean just stared out the window, not saying a word. He was never really good at apologies. I hit him on the shoulder, and he turned to face me. "Right, Dean?"

He looked at me then turned to Amber. "Yeah, we're sorry." He looked at me as if saying, 'There, you happy?' I shrugged. "So, uh, since you heard all that... You cool with us stickin' around?" Dean asked her, a little nervously.

"Yeah, sure!" She smiled, sounding excited. "I just met you dorks, you're not leaving now!" Dean and I both chuckled at that. "Alright. Guess we're getting a motel room." I said. Dean sighed. As much as he loved hunting, he really hated motel rooms. He liked having his own room at the bunker.

I turned back to Amber. "We're almost there. You got an excuse for your sister? She'll most likely be worried since you aren't at home."

"Yeah. I'm pretty good at coming up with stories. I don't think I'll need to though... I can't hide this from her, she'd kill me."

I laughed. I could see how that would be a problem. I've felt that way on several occasions with Dean for keeping secrets and lying but this was a full on fangirl problem. I haven't met her sister yet but I know I will soon... And God, I hope she's not like Becky.