Back To Reality

Dakota's POV

It was around midnight, and I was still at the party. The place was still pretty packed which didn't surprise me because these were all college kids. I expected that a lot of them would be skipping class tomorrow. I don't have any early classes, thank God, so I shouldn't have to skip. Throughout the party I had been going around, talking and hanging with college buddies. Right now I was with a girl in my Latin class, Riley. She was nice but could be a bit annoying sometimes.

I told her I would catch up with her later and went to find Arya and Phil. I moved quickly through the crowd. I needed to find them fast. I hadn't seen Amber since after she kissed Castiel. I was starting to get a little worried, if not a bit bummed that she wasn't here. I finally found the two standing by one of the snack tables, eating chips. "Guys?" I started as I walked up to them. They turned to me, waiting for me to continue. "Have you seen Amber around?"

Arya looked at Phil then back at me, suddenly worried. "No, I haven't seen her since she danced with Cas."

Phil tried to give us some reassurance. "Maybe she didn't feel well? She probably went home." I felt uneasy about that theory. We only took one car here. "No, I don't think so... She would have told me she was leaving." I tried to look through, over, and around the crowd of people but still couldn't find her.

"Why don't you call her?" Arya suggested. I nodded then opened up my handbag. I pulled out, not my phone, but my keys. Amber hadn't given me my keys back. "How did these get in here?"

Arya and Phil shrugged. "Maybe she did leave but didn't want to bring us down so she slipped the keys in your purse without you noticing." Arya suggested. That couldn't be it, it just didn't sound like Amber. But right now, that's the only explanation I had.

I pulled out my phone, found Amber's contact, and called her. It rang about three times and then went to voice mail. Did she just hang up on me? I thought, surprised. I loked at Arya and Phil and shook my head as I hung up the phone.

"What the hell?" Arya asked.

"I don't know." I replied. I couldn't think of any reasons Amber had to hang up on me unless someone else had her phone. Then I got a text message. I checked my phone and thank God, it was Amber. 'Sorry, sis. Too cramped, felt bad. Didn't wanna upset y'all. Walked home, the keys are in your purse.'

That sounded weird. First, she hung up on me, then she sent me a text with a million fragments! Maybe I was just overreacting. She said she was fine so she must be fine. I texted her back to let her know I got the message then looked back at Arya and Phil who were waiting anxiously. "She's fine. She felt bad and went home. She didn't wanna upset us so she didn't tell us."

"I knew it!" Arya and Phil said in unison, then looked at each other and laughed. I couldn't help but laugh too. Looks like we were getting all worked up for nothing. Time to get back to the party.