Home Again

Amber's POV

"Its about a block away on the corner of Ashland and Enterprise." I directed Sam as he turned down Main. It was still pretty early so hopefully Dakota wasn't freaking out about me being missing. I was just going to tell her that I went for an early morning run, but I thought better of it. If she found out I went another day without telling her the truth, I'd never hear the end of it.

Sam pulled up to my apartment and parked the car. He and Dean both turned around to face me. "So, what's the plan?" Dean asked.

"Um... Well, Koda will wanna meet you guys so I guess just stay out here and wait for me to get her." I waited for their response. They looked at each other then nodded. "Alright." Sam said. I smiled as I got out of the car.

I looked down at myself. I was still wearing my costume... I should probably shower real quick before getting Dakota. I poked my head back inside the car. "Um, could you guys give me a few minutes to shower before I bring her out?" It would probably calm her down a little if she thought that I at least came home last night.

Dean held a thumbs up. "Go ahead." I closed the door and walked up to my apartment pulling out the keys. I unlocked the door and walked inside, quietly closing the door behind me. I decided I would use the downstairs bathroom. It would be easier, and I have a few pairs of clothes in it.

I walked into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Thank God I was wearing makeup that didn't smudge or smear. It still looked the same from last night and it hid the fact that I was up half the night. I pulled out my spare makeup removal cream and washed off my face. I didn't look as tired as I thought.

Then I got in the shower. The warm water felt nice, and I wished that I could stay in there for hours, but I had to get out quickly. I finished up my shower then pulled out two towels: one to wrap around myself and one to wrap my hair in. I opened the closet door and pulled out a black tank top, a blue and black flannel shirt, and a pair of blue jean shorts. I got dressed and then towel dried my hair as much as I could. I put it in a braid going down my shoulder, so it wouldn't look all wrangly and mop-like. I laced up my combat boots which I had with me from last night. Those were pretty much the only shoes I ever wore.

I hung the towels up on the shower and made my way upstairs. Dakota's door was closed, which meant she was either still sleeping or not here. I walked up to the door quietly and raised my hand to knock. Before I could hit the door it swung open, revealing Dakota. When she noticed it was me, she threw her arms around me in a tight hug.

"Where the hell were you?!" She demanded. I went to answer but she kept going. "You said you went home but when I got here you weren't home." I sighed.

"I can explain all of this, Koda."

She crossed her arms. "Better be good." Sometimes things were like this. Its rare but sometimes she'll act like the big sister. Freaking out, demanding where I've been or what I've been doing. She doesnt need to take care of her sister, though. That's my job.

"To start, I need to show you something." I grabbed her arm but she jerked away. "I'm gonna need more than that." She told me.

"Ok, Koda, enough of the bitch act. I'm 25, I can handle myself."

She looked at me then looked down, uncrossing her arms. "Alright. Can you please give me a little more than that?" I inhaled a big breath. Now is the time. "Have you ever thought that maybe the impossible might be possible?" She looked at me, confused. "How do you mean?"

"Like characters in a book. Have you ever thought that maybe they aren't just characters?" She gave me a serious look, then cracked a smile. She thought I was messing with her. "Amber, I imagine that happening all the time..." She paused, wondering if that made her sound too obsessed. "But there's no way. Fiction is fiction."

She turned to go back in her room when I grabbed her arm and dragged her downstairs. "What the hell?!"

"You won't listen? Fine. I'll show you." I got to the front door and stepped outside.