On The Road Again

Dean's POV

We were cruising down the road on our way to California. Amber just couldn't seem to get enough of the Impala. It was kind of cute. Sam and I glanced at each other. Looked like he was thinking the same thing. "Woah." She said. I saw her move behind my seat. "You guys actually have your initials carved into the leather?"

I chuckled. "Yup. If you're wondering about the legos and armymen, we got those too." She laughed at that. "Now, that's adorable." She said. She leaned back and laid down across the seat, looking up at the ceiling. I noticed a black mark on her shoulder. "What's that?" She looked down from the ceiling and at me. Sam turned around to see what I was talking about.

"Its an anti-possession symbol. Koda and I got matching ones on our shoulders like you two got on your chests." I looked over at Sam, a smile spreading across both of our faces. "Would ya look at that Sammy? She was protected without even knowing it."

Amber smiled and looked back at the ceiling. "Yeah, of course, I got it because I'm a fan. Those books are good for something, you know?" I let out a deep chuckle. I guess she was right. All the people that are really big fans will get those tattoos. It won't necassarily protect them from demons but at least they can't be possessed. I still hated Chuck for writing those books. Our personal lives are not for other peoples' entertainment.

"So, you guys working a case?" She asked eagerly, sitting back up. Now that she knows the truth, she'll probably want to help. "Well, right now, you're our case." Sam told her. She looked down, a little disappointed. "But since Cas bailed, I guess we could take a little break and start looking for a new case." He finished. Amber's eyes lit up. Yeah, she wanted to help.

"Hold on." I said, not wanting her excitement to get too far. "Let's not get too excited. Reading is a whole lot different than doing."  She looked at me expectantly. Oh God, not another person with puppy dog eyes. I thought. Sam looked at Amber then back at me. He could tell what I was thinking because he laughed once.

"What?" Amber asked. Sam looked at me, waiting for me to answer. "Its the.. the..." I couldn't get it out. Sam would not stop laughing like a child. "The puppy dog eyes." I finally got it out, only to see that she had made her puppy dog eyes more prominent. Sam would not shut up. Amber added to the puppy dog look, "You could train me."

I threw one hand up in defeat. No one beats the puppy dog eyes, not even me. "Its not as easy as it sounds. We've had years of training."

"I do know how to use some weapons, you know. My dad taught me when I was young."

"Really?" Sam asked. He looked at me. "I guess that is a normal kid thing... Usually its a father-son kind of thing though."

"Well, at least you've used a weapon before. It'll make it easier to train you." I said. She got a hopeful glint in her eyes. I quickly added, "If we train you." She sighed. "Well let's freshen up on your knowledge!" I told her. "Sammy, would you like to start us out on 'How Do You Kill This Monster?'" Sam smiled and nodded. "Alright, how do you kill a vampire?"

Amber answered almost instantly. "You cut its head off. You can hurt it with deadman's blood, its like poison. They can be killed with a good amount of that too but beheading is the easiest way to go." I looked at Sam and raised my eyebrows. Not bad. I thought. "Ok, how do you kill a werewolf?" I asked.

"Silver bullet to the heart. Anything silver burns it."

Sam asked the next question. "What about ghosts?"

"Salt holds them off. To kill them, salt and burn any remains."

"Ok, how bout the tough stuff?" I asked. "Angels and demons?"

"Salt and holy water hurts demons. You can't kill them without a special knife or gun, but you can exorcise them and send them back to Hell. The only thing that can kill angels is an angel blade. Angel blades also work on demons."

Sam and I glanced at each other again. Wow. I looked at her through the rearview mirror and saw her smiling. "Ok, maybe you could be useful." I said. "Yeah..." Sam added.

"Once a fan, always a fan." She stated, then laughed. I couldn't help but laugh with her.

For a while we just drove, listening to music and singing along, and talking about random things. We had been driving for a few hours, and it was still dark outside. Sam had dozed off in the passenger seat, occasionally waking up and then going back to sleep. I looked at Amber through the rearview mirrior and saw her eyes fluttering. Then she let out a small yawn. "Amber, if you need to sleep, go ahead. Its ok."

"No, I'm fine." She replied drowsily, moving around in the back seat. I turned around to face her only to find that she was leaning against the window, fast asleep. I smiled then sighed as I turned back to the road. She was cute, and I liked her. She was smart and cocky, and that's a turn on for me. I laughed to myself. I could never admit that in front of Cas. Then I realized that nothing could ever happen between us... because of Cas. Man, you are one freakin' lucky angel. I thought.