The Wait

Phil walked into A&E and headed to the reception desk. "Where have they taken Dan?" He sniffed.

"Dan who, Darling?" She smiled as she looked at Phils blood-soaked clothes.

"Howell, he was brought in about 10 minutes ago. He got shot. I just need to see him." He sobbed.

"He's been taken in for emergency surgery. If you take a seat over in the ICU someone will be with you soon. Is there anyone you need me to call? Does he have any family who will need to know? Parents? Partner? Children?" She smiled. Phil found it uncomfortable how she was smiling so much.

"His mum." Phil gasped. "She has no idea." He sighed.

"Okay, do you have her number?"

Phil read her number and went to wait in the ICU.

Suddenly Phil realised he was alone. His chest felt tight and his arms were burning. He took a deep breath. He couldnt let Dan see him like this. He looked down at his sticky red clothes and felt sick.

He looked up when he heard footsteps. It was Dans mum.

"Phil," She sighed before bursting into tears.

"Im so sorry," Phil sobbed. "I should have stopped it. I should have stopped Dan getting hurt. He's going to be okay though, right?" Phils breathing grew heavier.

"I dont know." She sighed. "We just have to wait."