Safety

Phil told them everything. About the threats, the radio, the rape. He had to tell someone.

"I have nowhere to go, to stay, I dont know what to do, Dan would know." He took a deep breath and sighed.

"You can return home today," The policeman said. "We have an idea as to who broke into your house,"

"And from the description you gave us, it looks as if it could be the attacker." The woman added.

"Will I be safe? What if he comes back!? What if he..." Phil trailed off.

"Can you stay at a relitives? Or a friends?" He asked.

"I dont have any. Dan was my everything and now I have no one. My own mum looks at me like Im the scum of the earth, my so called 'friend' betrays me in ways you wouldnt even think of. I shut myself away from everyone and now no one wants to know me." Phil sighed.

"What about staying in a hotel? The one you were in before?" He asked.

"I suppose." Phil half smiled.

"We have your contact details. You will be the first to know if we hear anything." The policewoman smiled and held the door open for Phil.

***

Phil noticed the sun was beginning to rise. He flagged down a taxi.

"Central Hotel please," Phil forced a smile.

"Sure thing," The cab driver smiled back. "So, what you doin' out so early? Long night?" He asked, awkwardly creating small talk.

"I guess." He sighed.

"You dont happen to know what happened down by the station do you? I heard someone got shot, poor lad. 23 they said." The driver sighed. "Its all over the radio."

"I," Phil burst into tears.

"I.. I'm sorry, ignore me." He apologised. "No, Im sorry."Phil wiped his eyes. "I just. It was Dan who got shot. He was my best friend- my only friend in the whole world and hes gone." He broke down into tears.

"Im so sorry." The cab driver said as he pulled up to the hotel.

"Dont be, you didnt know." Phil sighed. "How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing. Im so sorry about Dan." He smiled politely.

"Thanks." Phil smiled as he climbed out of the cab.