[book 2] chapter one: welcome back

THE SUN WAS shining so my AC was blasting

THE SUN WAS shining so my AC was blasting. The birds were chirping so my music was playing at the maximum volume. The insects were buzzing so I had a can of bug spray on standby. Needless to say, I hated everything about summer. From the excess heat to the gross bugs, the endless sweat, frizzy hairy, humidity, and the blackouts that were no stranger to Stone Creek, summer wasn't exactly my favourite season.

Summer vacation, however? Totally different story.

Wrapping up my third year at Cortland University was the only reason I was excited about summer. I got to ditch the textbooks and all-nighters studying for no books and partying, leave my stuffy dorm for my spacious old bedroom, and finally enjoy myself for the next few months.

Thinking about school formed a sinking feeling in my chest, but I tried to shake the thoughts out of my head. This summer was all about relaxing, and I'd deal with my problems when I got there.

I turned into the familiar plaza I hadn't seen since the last time I visited, which was the winter break. Let's just say Mom's extended family planned a surprise visit the same week my brothers and I were visiting which turned into a bit of a disaster, and I made a point to not come home since. I parked my jeep before hopping out and stepping inside Stone Creek Café.

It didn't take me long to spot the familiar mop of hair I hadn't seen in so long. I walked right over and threw my arms around him from behind, mussing his hair in the process.

"Dani!" he whined, swatting my hands away. "I'm thirteen, stop treating me like a baby!"

"I can't help it, you're so big now!" I cooed, pinching his cheeks. I hopped in the seat across from him in the booth he was sitting in, a grin on my face. "Damn, kid, you sure did grow up."

My baby brother had certainly matured over the years. Even seated I could tell he was at least my height. He had a few zits on his face, a fresh set of braces that he must have gotten after Christmas, and he looked like a miniature replica of a young Niko. Thank God he followed in the footsteps of the better brother. Speaking of which...

"Where's Brenton?"

Alex shrugged his shoulders. "He was flirting with a waitress."

Typical Brent... Wait!

"What about Amber?" I cried.

As if on cue, our whore of a brother arrived at our booth. "Hey, sis, interesting hair!"

Alex grimaced at me. "What did you do to it?"

I twirled my fingers around my mid-back-length hair, now getting insecure. "It's a caramel balayage. Does it look bad?"

My little brother cocked his head to the side as he examined my new hair. "It looks...different."

That was good enough for me.