[book 2] chapter forty: no ship like friendship

"I'M SORRY

"I'M SORRY... WHAT?"

James looked at me apologetically. "The news was so sudden, and I wanted to tell you as soon as I found out. I just wanted to be as delicate as possible to avoid... this."

"Why Australia, of all places?" Was this side of the planet not good enough?

"It's an incredible school," he said. "And the only one that's giving me a full ride."

I wanted to be mad, but I couldn't lash out at him for getting a full scholarship. "I'm so proud of you, but I hate you."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," I said. "It's a great opportunity, and you've worked so hard to get here."

"You're not mad?" he asked, a bit too optimistically.

"Oh no, I'm furious."

My eyes widened and I backed away from him.

"You were trying to break up with me this whole time, weren't you?"

He was trying to think of a way to let me down nicely while I had been throwing myself at him!

"No!" he exclaimed. "I'm not letting you go. It won't be easy, but we'll make it work."

"Just like how this shit show of a summer went," I said under my breath.

"We've become stronger," James said. "I know we'll make it work."

I felt tears pricking my eyes and I blinked rapidly to get rid of them.

"Dani, don't cry," he said in a soft voice. "We're going to make this work, I know we will." He brushed my tear away and kissed the back of my hand, the one with the promise ring.

I pulled my hand away. "Who are we kidding?"

"Don't say that."

"I'm serious." I could feel my voice getting heavy. "We won't last if you're thousands of miles away."

James stared hard at me. "What are you trying to say?"

I closed my eyes and bit the inside of my cheek before saying, "I think we should break up."

James was quiet for a moment as he registered my words. "Are you kidding me? How can you give up on us so easily?"

"I'm saving us both from a lot of fights and heartbreak down the road."

He shook his head. "Dani, don't. Please."

I gently pressed my lips against his for a brief moment. "I love you so much," I told him earnestly.

"How can you expect me to go on without you?" I felt a pang in my chest when I heard his voice crack at the end.

"I'm still going to be here," I promised. "But until you're back for good, the most my heart can take is being your friend."