[book 1] chapter three: my neighbour steals my chocolate milk

MY BREATH CAUGHT in my throat the second he stepped into the room

MY BREATH CAUGHT in my throat the second he stepped into the room. This couldn't be happening. I knew my luck was questionable but was it seriously that shitty?

"I think I've found my husband," Amber whispered to me as she ogled him. She wasn't alone. The rest of the girls and some of the guys were fawning over him too.

Despite the newfound attention, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here. He was wearing a denim jacket over a white shirt and a pair of black jeans. His blonde hair was tousled, and he had steely grey eyes that burned holes into anything in their view. His large figure towered over the desks and I suddenly felt very small.

I was hoping I was small enough for him to overlook me and not recall yesterday's occurrences. I ducked my head down before he could look in my direction. There were only a few minutes left of this period and then I was off to my next class, far away from him.

"Take a seat wherever you'd like," Mrs. Frazer said to him.

He sat at a desk near the windows and away from the rest of the class. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the typical teenage angst radiating off of him. His antisocial demeanour wasn't going to get him far, especially not in a town this small. Luckily the bell rang, signalling the end of this class. I packed up my backpack and bolted out of the classroom. I didn't even wait to say bye to Amber. I just had to get out.

~*~

I was at my locker swapping my morning textbooks for my afternoon ones when my door was slammed shut.

"Thanks for waiting for me," Amber spat.

"Right. Sorry about that."

"Why were you in such a hurry anyway? You hate psychology."

"I was cramming for a quiz," I lied. I looked around the hallway as students passed by to see if I could spot him. It was the lunch period so there was a likely chance he'd be somewhere here.

"How'd it go?"

"What?"

"Your quiz."

I continued searching for him through the multitude of students. "What quiz?"

"Your psychology quiz!" Amber said.

"Oh. I think it went well."

"What are you looking for anyway?"

"I'm not looking for anything."

"Yes, you are."

"Want to get some lunch? I'm starving."

She eyed me strangely. "Dani, are you okay?"

I smiled back. "Just hungry."

We went to the cafeteria and waited in line to buy our food. I grabbed a tray and put two cartons of chocolate milk and a slice of pizza on it. "Oh, I don't want any chocolate milk," Amber said.