[book 2] chapter twenty: secrets

IT HAD BEEN a few days since the chaotic dinner, and I still had not heard from James

IT HAD BEEN a few days since the chaotic dinner, and I still had not heard from James. Niko and Vanessa returned back to Penbrooke, but before he left Niko assured me James would call when he was ready and he just needed to blow some steam, but as the days passed I was becoming more doubtful. I didn't have work today so Niko offered to have a sibling lunch date. I was certain he was just trying to help me keep my mind off of James, but I appreciated it nonetheless. I lied to Brenton that Vanessa was dropping Niko off here and we were taking the jeep, but I just wanted some alone time to drive. I picked up burgers from the Stone Creek Café, and I drove to Penbrooke to meet my brother.

I arrived after a few hours and parked in the faculty parking lot; the parking permit I stole from Niko's bookbag finally came in handy. I hopped out of my car with the paper bag of takeout in hand, and I walked around the campus in search of Niko's office. I arrived at the worst time because it seemed like summer lectures had just finished, and students and professors were filing out of the classrooms and into the hallways. I walked up to random doors, glancing at the acrylic door signs in search of my brother's office. I was walking past a crowd of students, and I stopped when I heard a voice belonging to none other than James.

"I'm so glad I found you. I've been so caught up with other stuff lately, but let's have lunch together. I've missed you."

Any lingering anger I had begun to dissolve, and I turned around with a smile on my face. My moment of glee was short-lived when I spotted James a few feet ahead, standing next to Leila. There was a line of students next to me who appeared to be waiting in front of a classroom, so I stepped into the line and tried to conceal myself before bolting in the other direction. After a few more minutes of aggressively stomping around campus, I found a door with Niko's name on it. Not even bothering to knock, I opened the door and stormed inside. A student was seated in front of Niko's desk, talking to him about an assignment but I didn't care.

"Excuse me?" she scoffed when she saw me.

"You're excused. Get out."

She gaped at me and turned to Niko, hoping he would say something, but he simply held his head low in defeat. "You know what, Amara? You're right, you do deserve a ninety on your assignment. See you next week."

She eyed him strangely as she slowly packed up her things and stood. "Um, thanks," she said, looking between us as if she was unsure who was responsible for her grade change.

Once she was out the door, I slammed it shut, throwing the bag of food on her chair. "Don't," I told Niko before he could scold me. I chomped on my inner cheek and inhaled through my nostrils, trying to keep my tears at bay and hold it together. Niko sensed it, and without a word, he stood up and wrapped his arms around me.

"What happened?" he asked softly, stroking my hair.

"He won't answer my calls or reply to my texts, but why would he? He's replaced me with Leila." I swallowed hard as my voice got heavy.