[book 1] chapter seven: the car ride of death

"SO

"SO..." MY VOICE drawled. "Listen to any good music lately?"

    James gave me a stoic look before returing to what he was doing.

    "Want me to turn on the radio?"

    Silence.

    "Is that a yes or a no?"

    Nothing.

    I glanced at him for a second before focusing back on the road. "What are you doing?"

    "None of your business."

    "It speaks!" I exclaimed. 

    James shot me a glower before resuming whatever he was doing. The traffic light turned red so I used this as an excuse to see what he being so cryptic about. I craned my neck so I could see past his backpack which he strategically placed on his lap. Much to my surprise, James was reading a book. 

    "What are you reading?"

    "Focus your attention on the road."

    "It's a red light."

    James looked up from his book and stared ahead. "Does that look like the colour red to you?"

    "Oh, crap." 

    A car honked behind me and I pressed my foot down on the accelerator.

    "How did someone like you even get a licence?" James pondered.

    "Is your book any good?" I asked, ignoring his unnecessary remark.

    "Stop talking to me."

    "That's not a proper answer." 

    James took out a pair of earbuds from his backpack and he plugged them into his phone.

    "Aw, don't drown me out." 

    He put the earbuds in his ears as he continued reading, bopping his head up and down to the beat of his music. The remainder of the drive home I wondered what kind of music potential serial killers like him were into. Within a few minutes, we reached our destination as I parked the car on my driveway. 

    "Alright kids, the ride's over."

    "Don't be late tomorrow," were James' parting words as he got out of my car.

    "Thanks for the warm farewell."

    "Be prompt," he said before shutting the car door. 

    That motorcycle needed to be fixed as soon as humanly possible because I wasn't sure I could put up with more of James or the use of the word prompt for another day.

    I heaved a sigh as I carried my backpack to the porch. I unlocked the door and walked into the empty house. Perhaps I shouldn't have bailed on Amber, I hated being alone. I went up to my room, ready to call it a day.