[book 1] chapter twenty-seven: the birds & the bees

"I'M SORRY," WERE the first words Niko and I said to each other when I came back home

"I'M SORRY," WERE the first words Niko and I said to each other when I came back home. He let out a chuckle and wrapped his arms around me.

    "I overreacted," I said as I graciously accepted his embrace.

    "No, I was being a dick. Just because I harbour no feelings for him doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to feel however the hell you want."

    "Don't fight with me anymore," I grumbled. "I hate bickering with my favourite brother."

    Niko grinned. "So now I'm your favourite, huh?"

    "Just don't tell Alex that," I jokingly warned. "Where is he by the way?"

    "I don't know, I went outside for some self-reflection." He folded his arms across his chest and took a deep breath. "I thought about what you said and I asked Monica to meet. I'm going to tell her everything."

    "Really?" I was not expecting Niko to actually listen to me. I pretended to wipe a fake tear from my eye. "They grow up so fast."

    "Yeah, yeah, shut up."

~*~

    A few days had passed since Niko dropped the huge revelation on me and he was back at Penbrooke without Mom ever knowing he came home. I felt kind of bad for him for dealing with this situation but I just hoped he would do the right thing and tell her. Don't get me wrong, I hated Monica but she deserved to know the truth. I hadn't heard from Niko since he left but I figured he was trying to get into the right headspace and figure out how to confess so I didn't bother him. 

    James had picked up extra shifts at work and he went straight to the diner after school so I was on my own. I didn't mind being alone but with him and Niko both busy, I was bored out of my mind. Brenton had detention and Amber had to go to the dentist to get her cavity filled so I was stuck with the youngest Parker. I had nothing better to do on a Friday evening therefore I decided to hang out with Alex and play video games in the living room. 

    "Hand me the sword," he ordered.

    "What sword?"

    "The one right beside you."

    "There's nothing there."

    "Time's running out," he yelled, pointing at the animated clock counting down on the TV screen. "The stupid sword is right beside you."

    "If it's so stupid why do you want it?"

    "Dani!"

    I snickered at Alex's annoyed reaction. "Relax, here's the sword."

    He gasped. "Wait, there's a bad guy behind you!"

    I fumbled with the controller. "What do I do?"