[book 1] chapter five: i commit a felony

THE NEXT MORNING I woke up to what felt like an army of mini Alex's beating my head like it was some kind of drum

THE NEXT MORNING I woke up to what felt like an army of mini Alex's beating my head like it was some kind of drum. When I finally forced myself to get out of bed, I stumbled to the bathroom. My head was spinning like crazy and I really had to pee. I almost let out a scream when I saw my reflection. My dress was wrinkled and stained with dried up vomit residue, my hair was a bird's nest, and my face resembled that of a rabid raccoon. 

    There was no chance I could let Mom see me like this, so I stripped out of my clothes and stepped into the shower. I tried to recall memories from last night but it was all a blur. When I stepped out of the shower, I wrapped a towel around my body and walked back to my room. Then I changed into the comfiest pair of pyjamas I could find and braided my wet hair. Once I was dressed I went to the kitchen while trying my hardest to not collapse. Alex was eating pancakes as he watched a TV show, so I passed by him to get some painkillers from the kitchen.

    "Aspirin's in the top left cabinet," Alex said without sparing me a glance.

    "Good morning to you too."

    "It's two o'clock in the afternoon."

    "Then why are you eating pancakes?"

    He looked offended. "Pancakes are universal. They deserve to be eaten at any time."

    I rolled my eyes. "Is Mom home?"

    He snorted. "When is Mom ever home on a Saturday?"

    He made a valid point. Even before the elections Mom was never one to sit around and relax. She always had to be doing something. I opened the cabinet and took out the aspirin. I dumped two pills on my hand and popped them in my mouth before washing them down with a glass of water.

    "How'd you get home last night?" he asked.

    My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to recall. "Not sure. I think Holden gave me a lift."

    "And you're just friends, hmm?" Alex teased.

    "Shut up and eat your breakfast." 

    When Alex scowled at me, I simply smirked. I decided to go to my room and rest in an attempt to nurse my pulsating headache. As I walked to my bedroom, I happened to pass by Brenton who looked just as bad as I did. His hair was disheveled, his eyes puffy, and he was an overall mess. 

   "Are you aware that your shirt's inside out and backward?" I asking in a taunting tone.

    He shot me a groggy glare. "Bite me, Daniella."

    "Someone isn't in a good mood," I mused.

    "Damn right I'm not. Care to know why?"

    "Not really..."

    "Last night I was drunk as hell and ready to sleep for the next ten years, but you know what I came home to? Freaking puke on the driveway!" He ran a hand through his messy hair. "So there I was at four in the damn morning hosing off the driveway so Mom wouldn't see. At times you're such a piece of..."