[book 2] chapter thirty-four: i become the most hated parker

I WAS IN the kitchen looking for a late-night snack when my mom came in

I WAS IN the kitchen looking for a late-night snack when my mom came in. I grabbed a bottle of fruit punch from the fridge before closing the door. Mom was dressed in her robe and standing near the counter as she sorted through the mail.

"I finished reading the building permit request from that company that wants to build those houses in the north end of town," I told her. "I sent you a document with my comments and feedback."

"Thanks, honey," Mom said as she continued leafing through the mail. I unscrewed the bottle cap and drank my fruit punch as she opened an envelope and peered at its contents. I was about to walk out of the kitchen when Mom staggered back.

I set the bottle down and ran to her aid. "Mom, what's wrong?"

She tore her glasses off and threw them on the kitchen counter as she looked at me. "You got suspended?"

Oh, shit.

"I was going to tell you," I told her warily. "You weren't supposed to find out like this."

"Don't lie to me, Daniella!" She smacked the counter with the palm of her hand. "I thought we were finally in a good place of truth and honesty." She rubbed her temples as she shook her head. "I don't know what to do with you."

"Mom, just listen..." My phone's ringtone blared and when I saw who was calling I quickly declined the call. It started ringing again, so I declined once more.

"Who is so adamant about speaking to you at this hour?"

"It's no one," I answered quickly.

She was about to speak but my phone rang again. Finally fed up, I was ready to power off my phone. "Listen to me when I'm talking to you, Daniella." Mom reached for my phone but I stepped back.

"It's fine, I'll decline."

"Give me your phone," Mom demanded but I shook my head. She leaned forward and snatched it out of my hands. Her eyebrows furrowed when she saw the caller. "Is this some kind of sick joke?"

"Don't," I pleaded.

She answered the call and when she heard the voice on the other end she dropped it instantly.

When the door suddenly opened, I grabbed onto her arms and stared into her eyes. "Mom, don't say anything," I begged, peering over my shoulder anxiously. "We can talk about this in private, okay? Just don't say a word, please."

"I forgot my wallet," Brenton announced as he entered the kitchen. "Mom, why do you look like you've seen a ghost?" He eyed us weirdly, his gaze shifting to my phone on the ground. Before I could even register what was going on, he knelt down to pick it up.

"Brent, wait!"

"Hello?" a faint voice came from my phone. "Dani, are you still there? Hello?"

I looked at Brenton with wide eyes. "Let me explain."