[book 1] chapter twenty-nine: i'm dating a liar

I SPENT THE rest of the evening cooped up in my room with my window wide open as I waited for James to come home

I SPENT THE rest of the evening cooped up in my room with my window wide open as I waited for James to come home. I had been calling and texting him nonstop but I got no reply. I didn't even want to imagine where he was and why he wasn't home because my mind kept alluding to the worst possible scenarios. Wherever he was, I was hoping he'd come back soon. After much deliberation, I decided if he wasn't back by tomorrow morning I was going to the local police station. Sure they would probably be useless given I didn't know his location but something was better than nothing. I couldn't just sit here idly and wait for him to show up. 

    A light knock on my door brought me out of my thoughts. "I'm taking Alex to Isaiah's for a sleepover and then I'm going to practice," Brenton said.

    I tried to suppress any hints of worry from my face. The last thing I wanted was to tell Brenton about all of this and have him tell Holden. "Practice? Nice excuse," I scoffed.

    I could've sworn my brother, the tool, actually blushed. "I doubt you'd want to hear I'm seeing Amber."

    "You're going out? On an actual date?" Brenton didn't do dates so I was shocked and slightly impressed that he was being a decent guy.

    "Just dinner and a movie." His cheeks reddened even more and although I wanted to puke I was happy he was shaping up for Amber.

    "You really like her, don't you?"

    He nodded, avoiding eye contact with me. "A lot."

    Despite the growing urge to upchuck I had to admit seeing Brent bashful about Amber was cute. So long as he didn't break her heart I was happy with whatever disgusting little relationship they wanted. 

    "You better pay for her dinner."

    He shot me a grin. "What kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't?"

    I choked on air. "Boyfriend?" I squeaked.

    "Soon to be," he corrected. "I'm officially asking her at the restaurant."

    "You," I jabbed my finger in his direction, "are asking her to be your girlfriend? Who are you and what have you done to my brother?"

    Brenton rolled his eyes but laughed. "I really like Amber, idiot. Plus she's your best friend, I'm not going to hurt her."

    I eyed him warily. "Get out before I call the cops on you, Brent imposter."

    "You're so dramatic," he said with a shake of his head.

~*~

    After my brothers left, Brenton called me to tell me that Mom said she was coming home late as well which meant I was tasked with preparing dinner for one tonight. I wanted to call Amber to hang out but unfortunately, she was too busy with the lesser Parker. It was at this moment did I realize I didn't have that many friends. I was giving Niko some space with the whole Monica thing so I didn't bother to call him and the only other person I could think of was Holden, though I knew inviting him over when I was alone was the absolute worst idea.