[book 2] chapter twenty-three: the aftermath

I WAS SEATED on the kitchen counter, still in my dress, as Brenton iced my bruised knuckles

I WAS SEATED on the kitchen counter, still in my dress, as Brenton iced my bruised knuckles. "Ow," I winced as the frozen steak made contact with my skin.

"Sorry," he said with a sheepish smile.

"Dani," Niko's voice called as he entered the kitchen. "You have a... Oh, I think I get it now."

I was about to ask him what he meant, but my question was answered when James stormed in. "You broke her nose?" he shouted.

Brenton gasped in surprise. "Dude, you told me it wasn't that bad. What's with you and breaking noses?"

"You don't understand," I told James, ignoring my twin.

"You're right, I don't," he said exasperatedly. "Why the hell would you hit Leila?"

"You didn't hear the terrible things she said to me."

He looked fed up with me. "What did she say, huh?"

I glanced at my brothers, hoping they would get the memo and leave but the two of them stayed in place, curious to know the rest of the story. "She accused me of cheating on you." I paused. "With Holden."

Brenton dropped the steak on the ground. "Shut the f—"

"Don't interrupt," I snapped.

"Where would she get this idea?" James demanded.

I took in a breath. "Last night I woke up in the middle of the night to pee and Holden was up as well. He was getting milk so I heated it up for him, and that was it. Nothing else happened."

James sighed. "I believe you, but no more violence."

"I'll try." When he gave me a stern look my shoulders slumped in defeat. "Fine."

He took my hand in his and observed my injured knuckles. "Not that I'm condoning fighting, but next time you should aim for the cheek." He kissed my forehead and left, leaving me with my brothers.

When he left I looked around for my makeshift iced pack. "Where'd the steak go?"

Brenton picked it up and gave me a questioning look. "You were being honest, right?"

"Huh?"

"Nothing happened between you and Holden, correct?" he confirmed in a serious tone.

"Of course not, now give me my steak."

"Good." He did as I said and ruffled my hair before leaving the kitchen. Once he was far enough, Niko hopped on the counter beside me.

"Thanks for not saying anything," I told him.

"I don't know where your head's at, but you have to be careful," he advised.

"I know."

There wasn't an ounce of playfulness on his face. "I'm not joking, Dani. You're stringing along two nice guys and I'd hate to see them get hurt."