[book 2] chapter nine: late-night rendezvous

AFTER THAT EVENTFUL dinner, I went upstairs to my bedroom and dialled Brenton's number on my phone

AFTER THAT EVENTFUL dinner, I went upstairs to my bedroom and dialled Brenton's number on my phone. It rang once, then twice, then three times, but no answer. I called him a couple more times before giving up. It seemed like he needed to blow off steam and had no interest in interacting with anyone. I skimmed through my contacts and clicked on James' name as I gave him a call. Similarly, the line rang but no answer. I was just about to call it a night when the light in the bedroom across from my window lit up.

Maybe I was feeling reminiscent, or maybe I didn't want to be in this house any longer, but I slipped on a hoodie, covering my head with the hood to conceal my identity, and I tiptoed out of my bedroom and down the stairs. I heard the sound of muffled voices coming from Mom's office —presumably hers and Adam's— but I left before either of them could come out. I slipped on a pair of flip-flops and stealthily exited the house as I crept next door. I rang the doorbell and used this opportunity to touch up my hair and look slightly presentable.

A wide grin appeared on my face as the front door swung open, disappearing almost instantly.

"You're not the pizza delivery guy." Behind the door stood a boy who looked to be a few years younger than Alex. He had a video game controller in one hand and a half-eaten chocolate bar in the other.

I placed my hands on my hips and raised my eyebrows. "And you're not my boyfriend."

A flirtatious smile formed on his face. "But I can be."

I scoffed at him. "Not a chance, kid. Who else is inside?"

"Why the hell would I tell you?" he retorted.

I gasped at his sudden attitude, but the kid didn't care. He was about to shut the door on me, but there was shuffling from behind him, and soon a woman appeared. 

"I am so sorry about my son," she excused. "The sugar he consumes is rotting his brain." She snatched the half-eaten candy bar from his hand.

I eyed her strangely. "That's fine, but who are you?"

She wiped her hand on her apron before extending it for me to shake. "I'm Rebecca Finch. I recently moved here with my son and husband."

The sudden sound of footsteps caught my attention, and before I could register what was going on, I was tackled to the ground. I let out a groan as I fell back, which was soon replaced by a shriek when I saw the face of a massive St. Bernard staring back at me.

"Benji," Rebecca scolded. I assumed she was talking to her son, but I was surprised to see the dog suddenly get off of me. "I'm sorry, he must really like you."

I slowly rose to my feet as I watched the dog carefully, hoping he wouldn't make any more unprompted displays of affection. "What happened to the old owners?" I asked Rebecca.

She shrugged her shoulders. "It was never disclosed to us, but for the price this house was listed at, I wouldn't even care if there was a murder here!"