[book 2] chapter seventeen: the boneheaded boys have a brawl

I SAT ON the edge of my bed and took a sip from the water James had brought me

I SAT ON the edge of my bed and took a sip from the water James had brought me. "When are you heading back to Penbrooke?"

He stood beside me. "I worked overtime last weekend so I can take tomorrow off."

"Really?" I set my bottle down and got up, looping my arms around his neck. "We get to spend all of tomorrow together?"

He nodded, smiling down at me. "I'm going to drive to my mom's for the night, and I'll be back here tomorrow."

"She does live kind of far," I thought aloud. "You could always spend the night here."

"I don't know, I don't have the best memories from the last time I slept in your room..."

I didn't dare sneak him over after the incident three years ago when my mom walked in on us in my bed and we were forced to break up, so I couldn't blame him for being apprehensive. "What about Niko's room? I'm sure my mom won't mind."

His forehead creased as he raised his eyebrows. "Only if she's okay with it."

After calling my mother for her approval, I realized the one perk of having Adam around was that he made her far less uptight than normal. I didn't even have to whine or beg for her to say yes and she agreed so long as James stayed in Niko's bedroom. I promised, but she had to know I was totally lying.

When everyone was fast asleep, I crept down the hall to Niko's bedroom. Did the idea of getting it on with my boyfriend in my older brother's former bedroom gross me out? A little, but who cared? This room was going to be turned into a library anyway. Although Niko's bedroom was close to Mom's, I wasn't too worried since she recently bought a white noise machine to help her fall asleep. Brenton had a theory it was to drown out the noise from when Adam paid an overnight visit, but I didn't think of it too much or I'd never step foot in this house again. I carefully turned the doorknob and tiptoed inside to where James was curled up with a book.

"You brought literature on your one day off?" I whispered. "I'm revolted."

He chuckled and took off his reading glasses as he set his book down. I climbed onto his bed and slipped under his covers. James pulled me on top of him and gripped my waist as he smiled at me. I returned it with a smile of my own before I leaned in to kiss him. James flipped us over so that he was on top, and he kissed my neck before sucking on the skin right beneath my earlobe. I moaned, but he quickly slapped his hand over my mouth, scared of waking up my mom. He moved his lips down as he kissed me, and I closed my eyes as I enjoyed the moment. The incredibly short-lived moment, that was. When his phone started ringing, James pulled away to see who it was.

"Who is it?" I asked breathlessly.

"Leila."

"Oh."

James surprised me by declining the call. He turned back and picked up where he left off, though that didn't last long when his phone continued to ring. He declined again, but the phone rang once more. Finally fed up, I moved away from him.