[book 1] chapter twenty-one: i unload my baggage

BY THE TIME nightfall rolled around I was exhausted

BY THE TIME nightfall rolled around I was exhausted. Spending the day with Helena and exploring James' childhood town sure did take the energy out of me. Helena told us Bobby would probably take the day to cool off so we'd be gone before he even came back which I was grateful for. After seeing his and James' interaction, I was silently praying we wouldn't have any more run-ins with him before we left. Overall I was really glad we came out, I knew James was having a great time catching up with Helena. The two of them were so deeply engrossed in catching up they didn't even notice me leave. 

    I was in the backyard all by myself, sitting on the old tire swing that hung from an oak tree. It felt nice being away from everyone and technology — though it wasn't by choice, I forgot to bring my phone charger. I was lucky I had enough juice left to text my mom that I was spending the night at Amber's but aside from that I was conserving my battery to navigate the ride home. Not having my phone was a refreshing and much needed change that I took advantage of. We were nearing the end of winter, but it was still relatively cold outside though I didn't mind too much. I had my winter coat and scarf on which were more than enough to keep me warm.

    "There you are."

    I didn't have to turn around to know it was James. "Hey," I said softly.

    I felt his presence behind me as he gently pushed the tire swing I was seated on. "What are you doing out here? It's freezing."

    I shrugged, enjoying the feeling of the brisk wind on my face. "It's refreshing."

    When he abruptly stopped pushing, I turned to face him. James' mouth was formed in a thin line, his forehead creased with worry. "I'm sorry about what happened earlier. He was out of line and I should've said something."

    "Should've said something?" I asked incredulously. "James, you said more than enough." I stood up and slid my arms around his waist, looking up at his handsome face. It still baffled me that someone as breathtaking as James was interested in me.

    He licked his lips as he contemplated over his words. "I really like you, Dani."

    Considering he wasn't one to express how he felt, his words were that much more impactful. I found myself grinning up at him. "I know." I stood on my tiptoes and pressed my lips against his, my smile broadening as he kissed me back. We were outside kissing for who knew how long but I didn't want the moment to end. Sadly all good things came to an end, and James rested his forehead against mine as we pulled away.

    "So I guess we've upgraded from neighbours to roommates." He waggled his eyebrows suggestively, making me roll my eyes.

    "Way to ruin the moment, dumb ass."

~*~

    I let out a soft yawn as I opened my eyes. Judging by the darkness of the room I assumed it was still late in the night. I carefully slipped out of bed, making sure not to awake James as I crept out of the bedroom and down the hall. Since Helena and Bobby lived in a bungalow, every room was on one storey so I continued down the hall until I was in the kitchen. I opened the cupboard and took a glass before filling it with water from the faucet. I leaned against the counter as I took a sip, lost in thought.