[book 1] chapter fifteen: i'm officially an idiot

I WAS AT my locker when I noticed Holden walk inside

I WAS AT my locker when I noticed Holden walk inside. He was with his friends, a smile on his face as he talked. They all laughed at whatever he was saying but I could see right through that smile. There was sadness in his eyes that none of his friends could detect and it royally sucked that the sadness was because of me. 

    "Hey," I said once he was within earshot. "Can we talk?"

    He left his friends and came over to me. He shuffled his feet nervously. "About yesterday..."

    "I'm sorry," we both said simultaneously.

    A ghost of a smile appeared on his face. "You have nothing to be sorry for, Dani. I'm sorry for putting you in that situation. A part of me knew you didn't like me like that, but I guess I got hopeful."

    "Can we go back to normal?" I pleaded, realizing how much I missed his annoying yet joyous personality.

    He nodded. "I'd like that."

    "Good because I don't like being on weird terms with you." I pulled Holden in for a hug. "You know you mean a lot to me, right?"

    "Wish I could say the same."

    "Your confession last night said otherwise," I teased.

    He laughed, his cheeks turning pink. "You got me there."

    I smiled, glad he wasn't so down anymore. "I'll see you around, Rollins."

    "I'll be sure to keep an eye out."

    The bell rang and I walked to my biology class. I took my seat and waited for James to come. Ever since my epiphany last night I had d been itching to see him. I wasn't even completely sure if I actually liked him or not. My mind told me I didn't, but every other part of me screamed that I liked him. Mrs. Frazer entered the classroom and took attendance. James still wasn't here and I soon realized he wasn't coming. I could tell he was avoiding me and I was pretty sure it was because of the confrontation with Brenton.

    "Today I will be giving back your unit tests," Mrs. Frazer announced. "For some of you I was very impressed, and for others I highly recommend getting a tutor." She was looking directly at me when she spoke and I felt myself shrink. If I didn't ace this test then my dreams of university were gone. She walked down the rows of desks handing students their test marks. I held my breath when she stopped in front of my desk. "Ms. Parker," she said in that snotty voice of hers. "I was quite surprised."

    I felt my heart drop to my feet. "How badly did I do?"

    She handed me my test. "See for yourself." Written on the top of my test in red ink was 87/100.

    "Holy shit!"

    "Language, Ms. Parker," Mrs. Frazer said sternly.

    "Sorry." I glanced back at my test, unable to believe I scored as high as I did. I turned around to show James, but then I remembered he wasn't there.