[book 2] chapter forty-one: our favourite narc pays a visit

A WEEK HAD passed, and my dry, infrequent message exchanges with James eventually ceased to exist

A WEEK HAD passed, and my dry, infrequent message exchanges with James eventually ceased to exist. I hadn't heard a word from him, not that I could blame him. The breakup was hard on both of us and creating space was probably the best thing we could do. I missed him like crazy, but slowly and gradually I was coming to terms with the breakup. I didn't see myself dating anyone new for a long time, not that I wanted to. After the way the breakup with James took a toll on me, I wanted to avoid all members of the male population.

My avoidance of men didn't last too long when I ran into Brenton downstairs.

"You look more put together than usual," I said.

He glowered at me. "Shut up, Daniella." Brenton was dressed in a navy blue suit with a burgundy tie.

I was about to bitch at him for having an attitude until I remembered what day it was. "How are you feeling about your trial?"

"I'm terrified," he answered, breathing nervously. "This is my second outfit change. I sweat through my first suit."

"It'll be fine," I promised him. "You've got the best lawyer in town."

"I'm shitting bricks, Dan."

"Disgusting."

"Save your attitude for literally any other day," he begged.

"You'll be fine," I assured him. "It's going to work out."

Mom stepped out of her office and set her briefcase down before joining us. "Let's go, Brenton. I do not want to be late."

I waved them goodbye, leaving me home alone with Alex. "You think he'll win?" my little brother asked, appearing beside me.

"I hope so."

We were about to go to the living room when the doorbell rang. Thinking it was Mom or Brenton, I swung it open, surprised to see who was on the other side.

I blinked in surprise. "Adam."

"Hi, guys," he said awkwardly. We hadn't seen him since the dinner fiasco with Dad.

"My mom's not home," I told him, slowly shutting the door.

He stuck his foot in the doorframe to stop it from closing. "I wanted to apologize for my behaviour. I hope you can forgive me."

"You disrespected my father," I reminded him. "I don't think I can."

I was expecting Adam to leave, but he shoved the door open and stepped inside. "It's all the same with you Parkers."

"What is he on?" Alex muttered from behind me.

"You," Adam jabbed his index finger in my direction, "are an entitled little girl who thinks the universe owes her for absolutely nothing. You live in one of the richest neighbourhoods in town, your mother makes a six-figure salary, your school, car, living arrangements, and everything else are paid for, yet you treat me like trash because I'm not the privileged rich bitch you are?"