[book 1] chapter twenty-three: the ugly truth

"WHY IS EVERYONE being so damn cryptic? Just tell me what you're all talking about!"

    Alex, Brenton, and I were abandoned in the living room while my mother and Niko were in the kitchen talking in hushed voices. Anytime I stepped into the kitchen they immediately ceased all discussion. 

    "Are you okay?" Brenton asked with concern laced in his voice.

    I narrowed my eyes at the hand he conveniently placed on my shoulder to stop me from barging into the kitchen again. "I'm fine."

    He pressed his lips in a thin line but didn't say anything further. Just then the two secretive Parkers returned to the living room, both of them wearing matching frowns. 

    "It's time we tell you what happened between Mom and Dad," Niko said in a quiet voice.

    "Can I stay?" Alex asked, his brown eyes wide with curiosity.

    Mom offhandedly said no but when Niko gave her a stern look she shook her head. "Fine."

    I blinked in surprise that Mom surrendered so easily. How bad was this story? I already knew what happened between my parents so why did they have to tell me again? I had just about a million questions racing through my mind but I didn't utter a word as I quietly waited for them to tell me. Despite me obliging and remaining seated on the couch, Brenton never released his hand off of me and I was somewhat grateful he didn't. I was dreading the incoming news and it felt good to have some support. Mom sat on the sofa across from me, and Niko turned on the electric fireplace before taking a seat beside her. She had her hands clasped in front of her, her face void of emotion. 

    "I'm sure you remember bits and pieces of the day your father left," she started. "And I know you think I must be a monster who forcibly removed my children's father from their lives."

    "I do," I answered blankly.

    Hurt flashed across her face but I didn't care. She hurt me enough and it was about time she knew how it felt. Mom cleared her throat and continued talking. "The reason your father left wasn't because I forced him. I gave him an ultimatum." She looked at me expectantly, as if waiting for a question but seeing that I had none she continued talking. "The spark between your father and I died many years ago and we really only stayed together because I got pregnant with Alex. We thought raising another child together would reignite what we lost but that wasn't the case. It just led to more fights about everything."

    "I'm the reason Dad left?" Alex asked, his voice cracking.

    Mom shook her head profusely. "Of course not. I'm the reason, honey, none of you." 

    Niko got up and scooped our baby brother in his arms before sitting back down with Alex, his arm wrapped around him. At times like this I was grateful Niko was here. While Mom was more firm and headstrong, Niko was the more compassionate and affectionate Parker.