[book 2] chapter twelve: we meet the future mrs. parker...again

"THEN SHE TOOK my seat

"THEN SHE TOOK my seat. Can you believe that? She took my seat," I fumed.

"What's the matter? It's only a chair."

"But it's my chair!"

He placed his hand over mine to calm me down. "Dani, it's nothing worth getting worked up over."

I swiped my hand out of his grasp. "You don't understand. She was trying to spite me."

"Come on, you'll get over it," he said. "Aren't you two best friends?"

"That's Amber," I corrected. "I'm talking about Leila. Do you even pay attention?"

"I'm sorry," he said exasperatedly. "I hardly see you and every time I do, you bring up so many different people it's hard for me to keep up."

I leaned back in the car seat and exhaled. "I wish we didn't have to keep this a secret."

"We don't have to."

I instantly sat up straight. "Yes, we do. I would be skinned alive if anyone found out."

"Fine." He was quiet for a moment. "Why are you so threatened over this girl?"

"What, I... w-what do you mean?" I sputtered, flabbergasted by his question. "Didn't you hear what I said? James and Leila dated. He clearly hasn't been honest with me."

"You haven't been honest with him either," he pointed out. "Unless, of course, you told him about us, though judging by that look on your face I doubt it."

I scowled at him. "Whose side are you on?"

He chuckled. "I'm sorry. I only tease you because I love you."

"I'm totally feeling the love," I murmured. My eyes glazed over the clock in the car, and I realized it was time for me to leave. "It's getting late, I should go home." I didn't wait for him to say anything and I slipped out of the car and walked back to the house.

Carefully, I crept inside and went to the kitchen to get myself a glass of water. Somebody else must have had the same idea because the kitchen lights flicked on as soon as I stepped inside. I tried to leave but I knew I had been seen and it was too late. I turned around, expecting to get an earful from my mom. What I wasn't expecting was to be face-to-face with Holden.

"Where'd you come back from?" he questioned, an empty glass in his hand.

"What do you mean?" I asked innocently.

He snorted at my fake naivety. "Don't pull that crap, why were you outside?"

"I couldn't sleep so I went for a walk," I answered robotically.

"Do you always sleep in dresses?"

I was about to ask what he meant until I glanced down and realized I was still wearing my outfit from dinner. "Whatever," I dismissed, fresh out of excuses. "Why are you even in my house?"