[book 1] chapter thirty-four: stitches & broken hearts

THE FIRST THING I saw when I opened my eyes was blinding white lights

THE FIRST THING I saw when I opened my eyes was blinding white lights. I blinked a couple of times to adjust my eyes as I skimmed across the room. Confusion swept over me as I couldn't recall a single memory. What was I doing in a hospital? 

    While looking across the room, my sight zeroed in on a brown floppy mass on the edge of my bed, making my eyes widen at what appeared to be a rat. The mere thought of a rat made shivers shoot down my spine and I couldn't understand why. Sure rats were the disgusting cousins of hamsters but why was I so terrified of something I had never actually seen before? I realized the creature before me was something worse than a rat, but I lightly nudged him anyway.

    "Go away," he murmured, his voice muffled because although he was seated on a chair his face was pressed into my mattress. I lightly nudged him again but it was to no avail. "It took me seven hours to fall asleep on this rickety-ass chair.  Don't wake me up unless Dan's awake."

    "I'm awake." 

    My voice came out raspy and I grew a sudden need for thirst. Spotting a cup of water on the small table beside me, I extended my hand to grab it, bringing the paper cup close to my lips. As  I was about to take a sip, my idiotic brother's head shot up in surprise, accidentally knocking the drink down.

    "Holy shit you're alive."

    I gave him a dry look. "Holy shit your sense of humour still sucks."

    Instead of replying to my jab, he grabbed a plastic bottle of water from beside him and unscrewed the cap before handing it to me. I took a large sip, chugging all of its contents in a single swallow. "Should I call the nurse?" he asked. Brenton was usually the one being hospitalized for injuries sustained from sports so I wasn't surprised he had not a single clue what to do.

    "What happened?" I croaked.

    His forehead creased with worry lines. "That's what I'd like to know."

    "How long was I out?"

    Brenton gave me a pitiful look. "It's been six months..."

    "W-what?"

    "Brenton, stop being a dick," Niko's voice chorused as he and Alex entered the room. Alex sprinted in and jumped on my bed, smothering me in hugs. I patted his back as my youngest brother proceeded to squeeze the life out of me, not a single smart ass remark coming out of his mouth.

    "We got you a stuffed pig!" he exclaimed, pointing at the toy and balloon in Niko's hands.

    "Why a pig?" I asked as I stroked his hair.

    "Because all you do is eat," he said with a snicker. Well, there went that heartfelt moment.

    "How long was I out?" I repeated once Niko sat down at the foot of my bed.