[book 1] chapter twelve: semi-finals

I WAS CURLING the last section of my hair when Alex called my name

I WAS CURLING the last section of my hair when Alex called my name. I set the hot curling rod down and paused the music playing from my speaker before I went to his room. My baby brother was wrapped up in three blankets, resembling a cocooned caterpillar as he laid in bed. He had been in this exact position for the last two hours now. 

    "Can you get me more apple juice?" he croaked.

    I sat down beside him and felt his forehead, my lips pulling into a frown from seeing him look so weak. "I think you have a fever, kid. Are you sure you don't want me to stay?"

    He shook his head. "Someone has to go for Brent." 

    Alex was right. Niko had midterm exams this week and Alex was sick, so if I didn't go then no one would be there for Brenton. As tough as my twin acted, I knew behind the façade was an insecure boy who just wanted to be loved and supported.

    Anyone who kept up with our mother's track record knew she was going to bail somehow, but I needed her to be home with Alex. Surely her sick child was more important than a measly campaign.

    I brought Alex more juice, and I finished getting ready. I changed into a fitted full-sleeved dark grey shirt and put one of Brenton's old lacrosse jerseys on top - what can I say? I was a supportive sister. I didn't want to take the chance of getting sick, so I slipped on a pair of my warmest black leggings. I brushed out my freshly done curls and applied some concealer and mascara to complete my look. I tilted my head to the side as I glanced at my reflection.

    Good enough.

    I decided to check up on Alex once more before I left to make sure he had everything he needed. After making sure my little brother was good to go, I slipped on my shoes, ready to leave. My cell phone rang as I was walking to my car, and I answered it without a second thought.

    "Daniella." It was Mom. Damn, maybe I should check my caller ID next time. "I have so much paperwork to go through before tomorrow morning and—"

    "You're not coming."

    "It's impolite to interrupt," she chastised.

    "Will you at least be home to take care of Alex? He's sick," I said.

    "He's a grown boy," she dismissed.

    I stared at my phone in disbelief. "He's only ten!"

    "I don't appreciate the attitude."

    "Bye, Mom." 

    I hung up the phone, unwilling to hear her pointless excuses. She valued her stupid job over everything else. She had never once attended any of Brenton's games, she couldn't even take care of her sick son, what could she do right?

                        ~*~

    I waited outside the locker rooms for Brenton to come out. Some other members of the team exited, giving me a smile or a wave. Although I tried to minimize public interactions with my twin, our similar faces were a dead giveaway we were related. As another player came out I caught sight of a mass of floppy brown hair and a huge grin.