[book 2] chapter thirty-one: the sting of a friendship breakup

JAMES AND I were at the local grocery store buying some things for Helena

JAMES AND I were at the local grocery store buying some things for Helena. He was going to go alone on his way back to Penbrooke, but I offered to give him company before he left. As weird as it was, our brief separation was the best thing to happen to our relationship. We both made an extra effort to see each other, we were more open and honest with each other, and our fighting had reduced significantly.

A small voice in the back of my mind told me I still wasn't being transparent with him considering only Holden knew about my suspension, but I really couldn't handle another fight right now.

I was pushing the shopping cart while James was getting the grocery items from the list Helena texted him. He dropped a box in the cart and when I gave him a questioning look, he shot me an innocent smile.

"Chocolate-covered almonds weren't on the list."

"They're my reward after successfully pulling off three consecutive all-nighters last week," he answered cheekily.

"You work way too hard. I'm surprised you're even functioning right now."

James sighed as he dumped a box of low-sodium crackers. "Things are only bound to get more hectic after this summer. I wish we could just be old and retired together."

I wrinkled my nose at the thought. "Something about a pruned, geriatric James isn't the most appealing image."

He playfully shoved me. "You adore me."

"Just get the groceries before I change my mind."

We continued making our way through the store, and James was like a little kid in a candy shop. Every time he picked up junk food I had to scold him and make him put it back. Sometimes when I wasn't paying attention he would slip something in past me, but when he wasn't looking I'd toss it out.

"Are you going to tell the rest of the family about your dad?" he asked while we were in the checkout line.

"I don't know," I admitted. "I want to, but..."

"Brenton?"

I nodded. "Alex wants to meet him though. We talk about Dad whenever we're alone."

"That's promising," he said positively. "What about your mom?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I mean, she gave us the option to reconnect with him when he reached out three years ago. Plus I don't live under her roof anymore so she can't dictate what I do."

"And your brothers?"

"I'm sure I could convince Niko." Underneath all of his anger towards Dad, I knew Niko loved him a lot. The two of them were really close and he was the only one of us four who had the most memories of Dad. "But Brent is going to be so mad." I gulped at the thought. "I don't know if I can face his wrath."

"I don't understand, I mean, he is your dad," James said, his eyebrows furrowed. "Despite everything mine has done, I'd kill for a chance to talk to him again."