[book 2] chapter four: oh, niko

"THANKS FOR HELPING me out with Brent," I told Holden once my twin was sound asleep

"THANKS FOR HELPING me out with Brent," I told Holden once my twin was sound asleep. He looked so peaceful when he wasn't conscious, his face so relaxed and boyish.

He waved me off. "It's my fault for letting his self-medicating get too out of hand."

I was leaning against the doorframe of Brenton's bedroom as I watched him, Holden standing beside me. "Do you know what happened between him and Amber?"

He clicked his tongue and shook his head. "I've not a clue. He wouldn't tell me anything."

Fair enough. All I knew was that Brenton initiated the breakup, but I couldn't figure out why. They seemed so loved up last I saw them and I didn't understand how things could go so wrong so suddenly.

"I didn't get to properly tell you how sorry I am about Maya," I said. "You guys were really great together."

"Eh, I don't know about that." When I raised my eyebrows, he explained further. "I just haven't been with anyone where it's really felt right, you know? Like the feeling you probably get with... I'm an idiot."

I couldn't stop my lips from curving up. "You can say his name, Holden."

"I can't believe he didn't show up," he said, continuing the topic that I very badly wanted to change. "I'd never leave you hanging if you were my girlfriend." He paused, his eyes bulging. "I didn't mean it like that."

I rolled my eyes at him. Behind his expensive suit and big boy stubble, Holden was the same goofy loser he always was. "You're so lame."

He laughed softly. "It's been really nice seeing you. Too bad you don't go to Birch Mount."

The smile on my face disappeared. At the time I thought Cortland was the best school for me, but having changed programs twice already, I was beginning to question if I had been making the right choices lately. All of my friends went to Birch Mount, my boyfriend was at Penbrooke, and I was alone at a school I didn't love, studying something I didn't care for, and actually preferring to be back in Stone Creek over spending another miserable day at Cortland. It had only taken three years for me to begin to realize I might have made a mistake.

~*~

After the party was over, I washed off my makeup and changed into a pair of pyjamas before knocking out. There was something about sleeping in your childhood bed that no other bed could compare to. I slept like a log all night, not waking up once until morning.

With an extra hop in my step due to a restful slumber, I changed into a pair of dark grey compression leggings and a purple sports bra. I tied my hair into a ponytail and grabbed my phone and earbuds before going to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

I was leafing through my notifications as I walked to our shared sibling bathroom —the only thing I preferred about Cortland— but I stopped when I heard the shower running. I banged on the door a few times but no one responded, further ruining my mood. Since when did my brothers shower, let alone in the morning?