[book 2] chapter thirty-three: alex and i share a secret

"DANI!" VANESSA GOT out of her seat and threw her arms around me when I arrived at the table

"DANI!" VANESSA GOT out of her seat and threw her arms around me when I arrived at the table. I hugged her back before sitting in the chair beside hers. It was a four-seater table and since there was an empty seat beside Vanessa and her evil stepsister, I opted to sit with the former. While Vanessa was thrilled to see me, I couldn't say the same for Leila, who rolled her eyes in annoyance.

This was our first encounter since she had me fooled that James was having an affair with her.

Vanessa eyed us both cautiously. "I'm only going to say this once, but please be civil you two."

"Fine," Leila huffed.

I nodded in agreement. "If the failed homewrecker will keep the peace, then so will I."

Leila glared at me while Vanessa gave me a warning look. "Anyway," the bride-to-be said, attempting to change the conversation. "Let's go over the final details for the wedding and how it's looking for set-up."

"Don't worry about it," I assured her. "The decorating team I hired will be in our backyard at the crack of dawn on your wedding day."

"What about my hair and makeup?" she asked.

Using the water jug on the table, I poured some into an empty glass and took a sip. "Since you and my brother are spending the night at Seychelles, your hair and makeup team will come to your room at half-past nine in the morning."

"And what about—"

"Your dress will be hand-delivered by the hotel staff to your suite at nine sharp, you and Niko will have your pre-wedding photoshoot at the beach cove in Stone Creek — yes, there's a zero percent chance of rain all day." I paused to take another sip. "You will then go back to your hotel for makeup and hair touch-ups, and then you will get picked by your chauffeur who will bring you to the house where the guests will be waiting for your big entrance. I'll be on standby in case anything goes wrong, which it won't."

"Wow," she breathed. "I, uh, wow! You've really thought of everything."

I smiled, proud of myself. "Trust me when I say you're in good hands, and all you need to worry about is what my brother does at his bachelor party."

"Don't put me in the same pile as those tools," Niko said as he joined our table. He kissed Vanessa before sitting beside Leila, the only vacant seat.

I raised my eyebrows. "You do realize our brother is one of those tools."

"I said what I said."

"And who planned your bachelor party?" I asked.

"Brent... Oh, I'm screwed, aren't I?" He paused. "So, babe, what's going on with your bachelorette party?"

"I'm planning it," Leila answered enthusiastically. I was confused by her sudden interest in talking about wedding details, but when I noticed the way she was eyeing Niko like she was a starving lion and he was an innocent gazelle, I put it together.