[book 2] chapter thirty-nine: holden gives relationship advice

IT WAS DARK when my eyes fluttered open

IT WAS DARK when my eyes fluttered open. I patted the space next to me but it was empty. I slowly sat up and flicked on my lamp to see James was nowhere in sight. I got out of bed and picked up the first article of clothing I could find, which happened to be his button-up shirt, and I slipped it over me. I walked out of my room and tiptoed down the stairs when I heard a faint voice. I caught sight of the back of James, so I ducked down on the staircase as I listened in on his conversation.

"I know, but I just can't right now," he said, already making me confused. 

Who was even calling him so late at night?

"We're finally in a good place and I don't want to risk it, Lay."

Of course, it was the she-devil herself.

James let out a sigh. "I don't know, Leila. Dani will be heartbroken when she finds out the truth."

I felt my heart hammer against my chest, but I slowly crept back up the stairs and to my bedroom before I could be spotted. I jumped under my covers and turned my lamp off, pretending to be asleep. I heard James enter my bedroom a few minutes later, feeling the bed move as he lay down.

"You awake?" he whispered.

Damn me and my horrible acting.

"I just got up," I lied. "Where'd you go?"

"I went downstairs to get some water." Also a lie. "Go back to bed." He kissed my cheek before getting comfortable. My bedroom was soon filled with the gentle sounds of his snores.

I didn't sleep a wink that night.

~*~

It felt like I had just fallen asleep by the time morning rolled around. I let out a soft groan as I turned around, opening my eyes to find James looking back at me.

"Good morning, beautiful," he greeted with his adorable dimpled smile. Curse that smile.

James put his arm over me, but I turned the other way.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm not in the mood," I answered.

"I bet I could get you in the mood," he teased.

"I'd prefer to be left alone actually."

"Sure, okay." I heard him get up. "You alright?"

"I will be once I'm left alone." 

"Can I have my shirt back?"

"Can you wear another one?" I didn't mean for my tone to come across that snippy, but James didn't seem to mind it as he got dressed. He took another one of his many shirts from my closet and wore it instead. He came back to me and kissed my cheek before saying, "I'll talk to you later."

I didn't reply, instead choosing to catch up on sleep.

The rest of my day was basically spent the same. Aside from putting on clothes and brushing my teeth, I had spent the day in bed, not feeling up for doing anything.