[book 2] chapter nineteen: just desserts

"YOU'VE REACHED JAMES

"YOU'VE REACHED JAMES. Leave a message if you want me to consider calling you back."

I hung up the call, fed up with hearing the same voicemail message over and over again. I gave James the night to cool off and I had spent the entire next day calling him, but I was hit with radio silence. I was the one who was ambushed last night and cast aside like I wasn't even his girlfriend, yet I felt shitty about what I did to Leila. Had I known her stepfather would react like that, I would have never said anything in front of him.

"Why aren't you dressed yet?" Brenton peeked his head through my doorframe. "We're leaving in ten." He left me to get ready.

I called James again, this time with a voicemail message in mind. "You've reached James. Leave a message if you want me to consider calling you back."

"I know you're still mad at me but there's a dessert tasting party at Holden's tonight. And I know you don't like him either, but you like the café, right?" I facepalmed myself for saying that, wishing I could undo the first part of my message. "Anyway, if you show up I'll know all is forgiven, and if not... Well, let's hope I don't have to find out. I hope I'll see you tonight."

I hung up and got dressed. In hopes of James showing up today, I put in a little extra effort to look good for him. I changed into an off-the-shoulder peach-coloured dress that stopped at my mid-thigh, and I left my hair in its natural waves, tying it up in a high ponytail. I applied my makeup, slipped on some matching shoes, and went downstairs to meet Brenton.

"Ready to go?" I asked him. He responded by slapping his hand over my mouth to shut me up.

"Brenton? Daniella?" Mom called from her office. "Is that you?"

"Thanks a lot," he hissed, uncovering my mouth.

Mom came out of her office and looked at us with raised eyebrows, her forehead creased. "Where are you two off to? Adam is coming over for dinner soon."

"The Rollins are having a p..."

"Intimate get-together," Brenton filled in. "They're going to make everyone sample some desserts for their new menu. You know, the ones Dani helped with."

Mom removed her glasses and wiped them on her skirt, not looking at us. "I see. Well, you really helped them out so enjoy your night, Daniella."

"What about me?" Brenton cried.

She raised her glasses as she inspected them for impurities. "Your punishment included no parties, plus you have to help Adam prepare dinner."

"It's an intimate get-together," he corrected. "Come on, I'll be cooking with good old Adam tomorrow."

"Brenton..."

"I'll even help him make dessert," he negotiated. "Please let me go."

Mom sighed in defeat. "Fine. Bring me back anything with pecans."