[book 2] chapter twenty-seven: pre-rehearsal dinner mayhem

HOLDEN STOPPED THE car in front of his house and his grandparents got out

HOLDEN STOPPED THE car in front of his house and his grandparents got out. "Giuseppe," Grandma Flynn barked. "Who's going to carry my luggage?"

"Let me drop Dani home and then I'll do it."

Her annoyed expression was replaced with a gummy smile. "Don't have too much fun you two!"

"I hope she dies in her sleep," Holden grumbled. Once they were out of the car he took off his atrocious sweater and we drove off.

I raised my eyebrows. "That's uncalled for."

He turned to look at me when we reached a red light. "No, Dani. What was uncalled for was that kiss. What were you thinking?"

"They wouldn't stop hounding you to kiss me. I just wanted it to be over with," I defended.

The light turned green and he stepped on the gas pedal. "Yeah, but..."

"Are you trying to tell me I'm a bad kisser?" I joked.

He scoffed. "No, but..."

"Then the matter is resolved," I dismissed. "They'll be off your back and you can lose the ugly sweater. Everybody wins."

"How can I lose it?" he asked.

I picked up the ugly piece of knitted crap and examined it. "Tell them you gave it to me and I'll dispose of it in my fireplace."

"You'd do that?"

I shrugged. "Eh, why not?"

"Wow, you're the best fake girlfriend I've ever had."

"Speaking of which," I said. "We take that kiss to the grave."

"My lips are sealed."

"Speaking of your lips," I added. "Some chapstick every now and then wouldn't kill you."

He gave me a dirty look as he turned into my street and pulled up on my driveway. I got out of the car with the sweater and waved him goodbye.

As I entered the house, Niko was walking towards the front door with a suitcase trailing behind him. "Hey, D... ew, what is that?" He jutted his chin toward the sweater in my hands.

"It's a sweater for Niko Junior." I handed it to him. "Consider it my wedding gift."

Niko forced a smile on his face. "I, uh, love it!"

"Hey, Dani!" Vanessa greeted as she lugged another suitcase. Her eyebrows furrowed when she looked at Niko. "Ew, what is that?"

"It's a wedding gift from Dani," he explained, the forced smile still on his face. "What do you think, babe?"

She awkwardly giggled. "Oh, I love it!"

"Wow, you two are very similar."

"We'll see you at the rehearsal dinner, right?" Vanessa asked, changing the subject.