[book 1] chapter four: drunken dani

"DAN, ARE YOU ready yet?"

    "Give me a second."

    "You've been saying that for the past twenty minutes!"

    "If you want me to come then be patient," I shouted back. I did last-minute touch-ups to my makeup before joining Brenton.

    "Where do you think you're going in that?" he demanded, looking at me with his forehead so creased I could see a small vein bulging on the side of his head.

    I glanced down at my outfit, confused by his question. I was dressed in a strapless black dress paired with a denim jacket on top. It was simple but also cute and Amber approved, so that was good enough for me. "Is it that bad? I thought I looked fine."

    "I said to dress nicely, not as a prostitute." Brenton sighed. "You're not going out in that."

    I pushed past him. "Like I'm going to take orders from my little brother."

    "We're seventeen minutes apart!" he exclaimed.

    "Look, we're going to be late, so let's get a move on."

    Brenton gave me a stern look, staying stationed in place. "Dress test."

    I gawked at him. "What? No!"

    "Dress test or we aren't going."

    The last time I had to do one of his stupid dress tests was when we were thirteen and went to our first boy-girl birthday party. "You're unbelievable."

   He clapped his hands obnoxiously. "Chop chop, let's go."

    I let out a groan, but I did as I was told. I held my arms above my head, then I leaned forward and bent down. This was followed by sitting down and reaching for my toes. "Are we done?"

    "Fine," he said begrudgingly. "But if I see anyone stare at you for a second too long, you're wearing my spare sweatpants in the trunk for the rest of the night."

    I couldn't hide the grimace on my face. Those sweatpants hadn't seen a washing machine since sophomore year.

    "Wipe that look off of your face, I'm serious," he warned.

    I pinched his cheek. "It's so adorable when my little brother gets protective."

    "Seventeen goddamn minutes, Dani."

    "Doesn't matter, you're still younger."

    Brenton grumbled some choice words under his breath as he stomped past me.

    "I'm driving," I said.

    "Come on, Dan. I'll be the DD for the night. You should have fun."

    "Brent, you're notorious for getting hammered within the first twenty minutes of any party," I scoffed.

    "Not tonight." He swiped the keys out of my hands as we walked to the front door. "Be a good boy, Alex."